Michael Phelps

There is absolutely no difference between someone who drinks, drives, and kills someone because of it, and someone who drinks, drives, and gets home perfectly fine. The actions are the same, and only independent variables determine the outcome. To me, there's no difference in what he did, and if he did the same thing and killed a family of four. He wasn't doing anything different on his end, it was just the circumstances that allowed it not to happen.

Have you ever heard of someone dying in a high speed crash? Someone innocent, just a by standard who was going about their normal day until someone who was exceeding the speed limit slammed into them... Maybe a street race gone wrong... crashing into a minivan killing a family..

Have you ever sped, went 1mph over the speed limit.. 5. maybe 25 if you were in a hurry and was on a 45mph back road..Or on that 25mph residential community you knew 35 would be safe and slow enough. By your logic, you are no different than those who have wrecked and cause a death due to speeding. And instead of a simple ticket, you should be punished the exact same as them even though no harm from your action was caused.

And on my opinion of Michael Phelps.. He's insane. Takes in 12,000 calories a day and swims about 5.5 miles each day.

And on my opinion of Michael Phelps.. He's insane. Takes in 12,000 calories a day and swims about 5.5 miles each day.

I heard a rumor that he's secretly a 10 year old Chinese girl. :crazy:

nah uh I think your fibbing, I saw him there! In gymnastics.

Thats why he only "won" by .01 of a second, he was worn out by doing two events.

Am I the only one who thinks winning by .01 of a second is basically tieing?;)

he is an amazing athlete..

Have you ever heard of someone dying in a high speed crash? Someone innocent, just a by standard who was going about their normal day until someone who was exceeding the speed limit slammed into them... Maybe a street race gone wrong... crashing into a minivan killing a family..

Have you ever sped, went 1mph over the speed limit.. 5. maybe 25 if you were in a hurry and was on a 45mph back road..Or on that 25mph residential community you knew 35 would be safe and slow enough. By your logic, you are no different than those who have wrecked and cause a death due to speeding. And instead of a simple ticket, you should be punished the exact same as them even though no harm from your action was caused.

You're right. And when I do stuff like this, I make a point to punish myself accordingly. I'm not perfect, but I make sure that I suffer sufficiently from my mistakes that I don't repeat him.

My only point was that I don't feel he was punished enough. He did a very bad thing, and here he is winning 8 medals. Yet someone who tests positive for marijuana or something would totally be stripped of medals and other crap. I have very high expectations out of people in life, but that doesn't mean I don't expect the same out of myself. I'm insanely hard on myself. Some people think I hurt myself unintentionally whenever I make sure I've been adequately punished for certain things, but at least I know I'll think twice about doing so.

And is there a reason you have me as your avatar, Beth? That really hurts my feelings that you would find it funny to mock me because we disagree on something. I know I'm ugly, but you don't have to post a photo of "the ugly guy," for everyone's amusement. :(

You're right. And when I do stuff like this, I make a point to punish myself accordingly. I'm not perfect, but I make sure that I suffer sufficiently from my mistakes that I don't repeat him.

My only point was that I don't feel he was punished enough. He did a very bad thing, and here he is winning 8 medals. Yet someone who tests positive for marijuana or something would totally be stripped of medals and other crap. I have very high expectations out of people in life, but that doesn't mean I don't expect the same out of myself. I'm insanely hard on myself. Some people think I hurt myself unintentionally whenever I make sure I've been adequately punished for certain things, but at least I know I'll think twice about doing so.

And is there a reason you have me as your avatar, Beth? That really hurts my feelings that you would find it funny to mock me because we disagree on something. I know I'm ugly, but you don't have to post a photo of "the ugly guy," for everyone's amusement. :(
I don't understand. He made a mistake in 2004, and we are more than halfway through 2008 and you can't drop it. His actions caused no harm to anyone and despite the fact that they could have, they did not.
Had he tested positive for marijuana, which is an ILLEGAL substance always, then he should be kicked out, but as it turns out, it was only alcohol and he paid for his poor choices.
It's fine if YOU want to hold him to higher standards, but he did everything he was required to do after being convicted. I really don't follow why he should be held up to YOUR standards?
Do you see what im saying here? It's fine if you dont like him as a human, as a person, as a role model, whatever, but to tell anyone else that they shouldnt like him because YOU dont like him, is really REALLY annoying.

Being hard on yourself is fine. That has no relevant point in this conversation.

And I chose you as an avatar to mock you, yes. As it turns out, I'm just being as passive-aggressive as you are. :lol:

Stop apologizing and looking for sympathy from people you don't know. It's lame. Not to mention, you certainly won't get any sympathy from me.

Before I ask you this question please note where I'm coming from...
My Grandpa was the scum of the earth because of alcohol (He on numerous occasions had threatened my moms brothers at gun point) also my uncle was in the car with his friend while both were slobering drunk, and the the driver of that car (not my uncle) killed a mom and three kids. That same uncle while not drunk was driving his motorcycle way, way over the speed limit and was pronounced dead for six minutes. So, both alcohol and driving fast impede your judgement...

How did you "penalize" yourself? Putting what Michael Phelps did (drinking and driving) and what you say you have done (speeding) in perspective... and then taking what you think the pentalty should be... Then your penalty would have to be just as bad as taking 14 gold metals and public humliation as well as taking all of his records off the charts, have you done that to yourself? Should I have to delete all my pictures that I have taken of storms and give back all the money I've made off of them because while storm chasing I was speeding? Even that would not be nearly the same penalty that Michael Phelps would have to experience. Also how many of us have driven while talking on the cell phone which studies suggest it's just as bad as talking on a cell phone as drinking. Please understand, I in no shape or form incourage people to be irresponsible with what they are given (they might end up like my grandpa the loser that he was), however, I gave my grandpa a second chance after second chance. As a side note... He died without anybody really caring because of the actions of his life. That to me was penalty enough... Life has a way settling the score by itself without us interfering.

By the way here is a story I ran across today... Please again understand that I was not looking for fuel but was reminded of this conversation after reading this article.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=231074.html#phelps+wins+fulfill+promise+friend

To be sure, Michael is not perfect. He is not a saint. He is still but 23 years old. He has made mistakes, and acknowledged them.

How did you "penalize" yourself? Putting what Michael Phelps did (drinking and driving) and what you say you have done (speeding) in perspective... and then taking what you think the pentalty should be...http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=231074.html#phelps+wins+fulfill+promise+friend

Usually I hurt myself. Some people freak out when I tell them this, but you asked. I will also deprive myself of certain things for periods of time, like food or something else. I know its messed up, but I never said I wasn't.

I think part of the problem is that one of my best friends was killed by a drunk driver, so its something that hurts like a kick in the nuts to me. I'm sure people on here will tell me that's just my opinion and it is. But personally, I said before that everyone else was entitled to their opinion, I don't see why you guys feel the need to convince me I'm, "wrong," especially when wrong is subjective (I admit this). So what if I think he's a loser and that he doesn't deserve to be considered a hero? Why does that bother you? Is it because you care about this guy? Is it because you know him?

Stop apologizing and looking for sympathy from people you don't know. It's lame. Not to mention, you certainly won't get any sympathy from me.

I never said I wasn't lame. I've admitted on numerous occasions I'm an ugly loser with no self-esteem, so you telling me this serves no point. And I don't think I'm looking for sympathy as much as I'm trying to back down some. I'm very passive, even on the internet, and I truthfully wish I hadn't said anything in the first place. I should know better than to voice my opinion on the internet, especially when its an unpopular one.

BTW, thank you for taking down my photo as your avatar. That was cold, IMO, and I appreciate that although you did it in the first place, you respected my request to do so. In return, I promise not to insult your looks, character, or do anything like that to you, as this is a discussion, not a fight.

Most reactions

Back