micro fiber, lens cloths, what and where

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking to clearify a couple things. I talked to someone at best buy and they just recommended a micro cloth. not that i dont trust them but i want to ask here.
They are ok i presume... are there different quality microfibers?
Also for disposable lens tissues are they better or worse? I like the idea of never having to worry about a dirty cloth.
Are the ones for glasses (specticals) worth using or is there are lens only type of tissue?
Dry clean or wet? If wet what solution and where to get the produce. Online or store.
I know these are basic questions and i guess im looking for Cleaning 101.
Thanks

I think all microfiber cloths are the same (correct me if I'm wrong)
Great part of them is you can just throw them in the wash when they get to dirty.

Ya i just bought that little nikon lens cloth thing and i clip it on the ring thing for the neck strap and it works great.

do you both not use a solution as well? just dry?

I have a giottos air rocket thing to blow off big stuff then wipe it. Always dry no solution with me.

Hey! I might be of help on this issue!

I work in optics (eye glasses) and the hands down best thing to use on non-glare coatings (which is what is on any quality lens) is high quality lens cleaner solution and a microfiber cloth.

A low quality lens cleaning solution is going to be one that has a very strong alcohol concentration to it, because of the tendency to break down the coatings on the lenses.

Look what they use to wipe the glass at about 5:00. It isn't micro fiber cloth.

Last edited by a moderator:
DON'T use dust off or any other air cans under pressure. B/c there is a liquid in it that pushes the air out and sometimes that liquid can come out and creat a film on the lens and it can turnout sorta nasty. So don't use it for lenses or sensors.

I use a lens pen and that works great for dust and smudges. And I use a blower for sensor cleaning.

You can wash microfiber cloth without a problem, as long as you don't add any softners such as Downy and all that crap. Don't add any bounce sheets in the dryer either. If you use these, the pockets that make it microfiber will fill and the cloth won't work as well.

Hmm well intresting video. I saw they used tissues with solution around 5:00. I also saw they used a q-tip at one point lol. I don't trust that but it works for unfinished glass.
I went to walliworld and found some micros for a buck a pop. I could toss them after a while for that price. I talked to them in the optics center for a little while and they agreed both tissues and Micro work well they both went with the mico. I'm going to do it dry for now but might change it up after self testing.
Again thanks for all of the great info on this subject. That's what I love about this site!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back