Microsoft adds RAW photo file support to Windows

Fox_Racing_Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Camera Codec Pack

Microsoft announced the release of a Camera Codec pack for Windows that offers support for the RAW file format from within Windows Explorer as well as Windows Live Photo Gallery 2011.

Until now, Windows Explorer did not have native support for RAW images and could not generate thumbnail images.

I hope this isn't a re-post, I did a search and didn't see any thing mentioned about it.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

I added it 3-4 weeks ago. Nice not to have to launch a Nikon program just to see NEFs.

Apparently someone over at Microsoft got their hands on an old Apple computer and found that raw support was built into their OS and figured out that it might be a good idea. I am happy for all you Microsoft users for being brought into the 21st Century.

Bout' time...

I'm confused - I've been able to view thumbnails and images in window picture viewer for years now - and all of them were RAW. Sure you had to install the RAW codec off your camera CD, but since you get that with your camera when new (or can get it off the website if secondhand) and since you'd also need the new codec for each new camera (since they are mostly all unique) then I can't see how this is a big step forward

I had the codec installed but wasn't able to open them in a viewer until now, awesome! This is why I frequent this forum :D

I'm confused - I've been able to view thumbnails and images in window picture viewer for years now - and all of them were RAW. Sure you had to install the RAW codec off your camera CD, but since you get that with your camera when new (or can get it off the website if secondhand) and since you'd also need the new codec for each new camera (since they are mostly all unique) then I can't see how this is a big step forward
Me too, so I also don't get what the big deal is.

I still can't see mine =( Can anyone help? I downloaded the file and nothing. Of course the T3i is not listed...

Me too, so I also don't get what the big deal is.

Some of us have multiple cameras and some of us process photos from several different manufacturers. It's nice to have an all in one stop. I often trade RAW files back and forth with people just to compare our processing. Being able to download most of the codecs from one update is convenient for me.

The Microsoft Camera Codec Pack provides support for the following device formats:
  • Canon: EOS 1000D (EOS Kiss F in Japan and the EOS Rebel XS in North America), EOS 10D, EOS 1D Mk2, EOS 1D Mk3, EOS 1D Mk4, EOS 1D Mk2 N, EOS 1Ds Mk2, EOS 1Ds Mk3, EOS 20D, EOS 300D (the Kiss Digital in Japan and the Digital Rebel in North America) , EOS 30D, EOS 350D (the Canon EOS Kiss Digital N in Japan and EOS Digital Rebel XT in North America), EOS 400D (the Kiss Digital X in Japan and the Digital Rebel XTi in North America), EOS 40D, EOS 450D (EOS Kiss X2 in Japan and the EOS Rebel XSi in North America), EOS 500D (EOS Kiss X3 in Japan and the EOS Rebel T1i in North America), EOS 550D (EOS Kiss X4 in Japan, and as the EOS Rebel T2i in North America), EOS 50D, EOS 5D, EOS 5D Mk2, EOS 7D, EOS D30, EOS D60, G2, G3, G5, G6, G9, G10, G11, Pro1, S90
  • Nikon: D100, D1H, D200, D2H, D2Hs, D2X, D2Xs, D3, D3s, D300, D3000, D300s, D3X, D40, D40x, D50, D5000, D60, D70, D700, D70s, D80, D90, P6000
  • Sony: A100, A200, A230, A300, A330, A350, A380, A700, A850, A900, DSC-R1
  • Olympus: C7070, C8080, E1, E10, E20, E3, E30, E300, E330, E400, E410, E420, E450, E500, E510, E520, E620, EP1
  • Pentax (PEF formats only): K100D, K100D Super, K10D, K110D, K200D, K20D, K7, K-x, *ist D, *ist DL, *ist DS
  • Leica: Digilux 3, D-LUX4, M8, M9
  • Minolta: DiMage A1, DiMage A2, Maxxum 7D (Dynax 7D in Europe, α-7 Digital in Japan)
  • Epson: RD1
  • Panasonic: G1, GH1, GF1, LX3

Most reactions

Back