Microsoft photo theft

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok a little harsh in title, but it got your attention right?
Well I might have missed this here, but here it is:

http://www.ephotozine.com/topic/t-62530
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/685031/an/0/page/0#685031

And the site itself:
www.iconicbritain.co.uk

note the search function displays photos like google image find - but once dragged and dropped into the selection box they are entered.

I think my thoughts are in the threads above (near the end of the first - good post there by another worth reading)

Found 7 of my images in there under my flickr ID. Just trying a more specific search on some tags I know I've used to see if it throws anything else up.

wait, but the image search is done on the www, not on that website, or am i wrong?

Found some more that way too. What I did notice though was that if you click on the vote button, you end up at a screen where you can do further searches. Finding an image that way, all are linked back to their original source location, including my own. Of course, there's an argument that says most people won't search in that manner and the problem will continue.

wait, but the image search is done on the www, not on that website, or am i wrong?

It's clear that it is, but when using the search on the main page, the images presented are not being linked back to their original source and are clearly being hosted somewhere else (not of my choosing I hasten to add).

hmm, depending on what search terms i use, i seem to be able to find all my images online on my webpage.

so the bad thing is when people drag our images in that little box and we will never hear about it, but they might win prices.

the whole thing looks pretty perverted.

well you are supposed to be contacted if you get into the top votes -- but err what happens if someone else hosts your photo?? they then get found and asked permission.

Like I said in another forum it would have been far better for Microsoft to ask for photographers to add their archives to a list and then let people vote from them - that way not only would we get the right publicity, but we would also get iconic British photos! I bet there will be a good number that get entered that have nothing to do with Britain (and as it appears a computer is being random in selecting the daily photos I can well see the winning photo being anything but British)

Not being snobbish here, but just pointing out that the competition is not going to live up to its name!

so the bad thing is when people drag our images in that little box and we will never hear about it, but they might win prices.

the whole thing looks pretty perverted.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Oh and I just found a picture I took of my nephew when he was about 4-5 days old.

think we need some old-fashioned heads choppin'.

Well Ap forums (one of my links) which is linked to AP magazine does quite a bit of rights supporting for photographers - they have been against the Orphan Bill and also try to stop rights grab competitions so I hope they can get on and start something!

thanks for the link - it appears the submissions period is now over so we wait to see who's photos get chosen

also their panel is funny - 2 actors and only 1 person involved with photography

Were you looking for: =garbo site:windowslive.uk.msn.com
We did not find any results for site:windowslive.uk.msn.com =garbz.

I'm kinda disappointed. But it also highlights what it's doing. Yes Alex it is a websearch but the scope is limited to the windows live site UK which hosts the iconicbritan competition. If it finds an image I'd be worried.

Most reactions

Back