Mid 2010 Mac mini RAM

Bonaireboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm currently using my wifes Mac Mini with Lightroom 5 running on (laugh now) 2Gb RAM. I know that the program recommends 4 as a minimum. This particular model can be upgraded as high as 8GB, but I'm wondering if it's worth the additional $50 for a computer that's already 4 years old? Would the 8GB make THAT MUCH more difference than a 4GB upgrade?

Unless your planning on getting a new computer soon then definitely max out that ram.

Yes, I think I have the same MacMini. It will improve it's performance *ALOT*

The 4GB improvement may be noticeable. Can you upgrade the HDD in those? I've been tossing around throwing an SSD into my 2012 MBP, even after a 16GB ram I wasn't entirely blown away. I think the SSD would help the over-all speed of file pulling.

Also if your HDD is pretty jam packed, that may contribute to the slower operating computer

The 4GB improvement may be noticeable. Can you upgrade the HDD in those? I've been tossing around throwing an SSD into my 2012 MBP, even after a 16GB ram I wasn't entirely blown away. I think the SSD would help the over-all speed of file pulling.

Also if your HDD is pretty jam packed, that may contribute to the slower operating computer
If I'm gona put nearly $100 of RAM, and a $250+ SSD, then I may as well just buy a new one. I know SATA drives are slow. I guess I'll start on the cheaper option end by maxing out the RAM. The next computer I'll be buying is gona be a MacBook Air for backing up on trips. After I blow my cash on that and an ultra wide lense, I'll upgrade the home computer. Thanks everyone for the input.

If I'm gona put nearly $100 of RAM, and a $250+ SSD, then I may as well just buy a new one. I know SATA drives are slow. I guess I'll start on the cheaper option end by maxing out the RAM. The next computer I'll be buying is gona be a MacBook Air for backing up on trips. After I blow my cash on that and an ultra wide lense, I'll upgrade the home computer. Thanks everyone for the input.

Check out OWC if you haven't. Reputable company, cheaper prices than you are quoting.

Check out OWC if you haven't. Reputable company, cheaper prices than you are quoting.
They were ballpark figures. The drives are much cheaper than I expected, but the ram is slightly more that Crucial.

Definitely max it out. I had a laptop about the same age and with 2 gigs of ram and it was barely usable. I was able to upgrade to 16 gigs and it has made a HUGE difference. Definitely worth the dough.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back