Mid Winter Sunset

Miaow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
s7.invisionfree.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A couple of pics I took about a week ago - hope you like them :)

sunset6.jpg

sunset4.jpg

Heya Miaou, welcome to ThePhotoForum :D

The forum is slow these days, and I have only just found the explanation for the fact in that "it is summer" right now, which, however, does not apply to each and every one of our members :wink: :wink: ... so you were able to take some "winter sunsets" only a couple of days ago.

Well, what I see in both your phtos here is that the horizon is crooked, and while this might work as a compositional element in some photos where crooked lines are used on purpose, I feel it does not go well with waterline horizons, and only slight tilts. They look downright wrong. A mistake.

Plus I see that the horizons are dividing your photos in two almost equal halves, which is considered to be "not good", for the feeling for distances and depth is not given. The photo is too balanced and thus boring. Not even the nicest sunset can work against it then.

Nothing that couldn't be "rectified" in pp-work (post processing) with the help of some cropping - and also some kind of pp-software (there usually is some on the CD that comes with the camera) can help you align the horizon.

LaFoto knows what she's talking about!

The only thing I have to say is maybe straighten the horizon. Excellent captures though, nice work.

Thanks for the comments. Have tried playing around with straightening the horizons with the pic software i have (camera software unfortunately will only do rotation it in 90 degree increments) but I'm loosing a bit of quality on the pics (even when not compresing them):(

Think I had better make sure the horizons are really straight when i take the pics if i want to keep the quality on the pic lol

For some reason it's always hard for me to keep the horizon perfectly strait on scenic shots. Maybe one of my legs are shorter than the other. But I'm training myself to spot it now and take more time composing the shot. And if I miss it then its a quick fix in Nikon Capture software.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back