Might be converting to Nikon, D80 questions.

burtharrris

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking at digital cameras, and I was looking at the D80. I've heard people say that Nikons have more intuitive controls. People have said Nikon has great lens designers and are more camera-people-oriented. I'm not looking for a polarizing debate here. I know Canon products pretty well, but I have a few questions about the D80 from people who know it. I held one in a store but it felt like wearing briefs after years of wearing boxer shorts. If anyone could answer any or all of the questions below I'd be appreciative.

1) Does it have a full-frame sensor?
2) Are there two control wheels for aperture and shutter speed?

(My Canon Elan has two wheels, and I don't think I could go back to just one with the Canon XTi.)

3) Do Nikon lenses have a pro line, similar to Canon "L" lenses?
4) Do you think Nikons have superior lenses (both standard level and pro level)?
5) Do you feel good about having the camera?

i know this doesnt answer any of your questions really, but it's a thought...

have you looked at the canon 20d? its size and controls are very similar to the elan7. if you're used to that the 20d would be a perfect switch into digital. i'm not a canon fanboy or anything i just thought i'd mention that :)

I have seen the 20D and it looks pretty good. But I'm just trying to see what's out there.

It's like taking a break in a relationship, if I meet some new girls and come back to Canon, it really is true love! :lol:

could not leave that uncommented ;)

Nikons have more intuitive controls.

To me it is exactly the other way round ... Nikon controls are and ever were totally counter intuitive, and I know some other photographers who feel the same! But then again there are people where the Nikons are more intuitive.

After all intuition is something personal ;) .

If you were raised with Canon it will be Canon, if raised with Nikon it will be Nikon ...

People have said Nikon has great lens designers and are more camera-people-oriented.

Hmm, Nikon has more in their product line than just cameras.

With Sony I would say true, they are more into consumer electronics in general, whereas Nikon and Canon are rather imaging focussed.

Both companies make good lenses as well as they produce utter rubbish ...
never buy a lens just for the brand name, but buy it for it's quality.

1) Does it have a full-frame sensor?

If you want a full-frame sensor, you'll have to go with the (Canon) 5D.

In my opinion, Canon's are generally easier to operate. AlexB's description of "counter-intuitive" is just about right.

But then, I've always used Canon's. It's all in what you get used to; something to consider, if you've made a significant investment in glass for your current camera, you may want to stick with Canon's.

also note that canons tend to have fewer buttons on camera than nikons.

nikons have more buttons for specific functions, while canon uses button combination to fit the same (almost) functions into fewer buttons. if you like more buttons for specific functions, nikons are going to seem easier to use. if you like fewer buttons and can deal with button combination easily, the canon will seem better to you. i must say though that as a canon user, it does feel extremely weird to use a nikon because the button arrangement is so different.

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No
5. Yes

I've been a Nikon shooter since the 1960's. I've grown up with the system and always been satisfied with it. That's why I use it to this day. I don't think it is any better or worse than Canon and anybody who does is probably not being objective. I think it is six of one and a half dozen of the other, even though I've personally, never owned a Canon. But the pro photographers I know are uniformly satisfied with the system they chose, whether it be Nikon or Canon.

Most reactions

Back