Might swap up my lenses, need advice

Solidjake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking about selling my 55-200 and 18-55 lenses (for about 240 lets say) and get a 18-135mm lens.

At work I need the zoom since the aircraft are far away, but I think the wide range on the 18-135 should be good enough for everyday shooting and work related pics. my 35mm will be my primary lens though.

Thanks!

I don't see how you would be better off. You already have a medium tele (18-55) that is just as nice, if not better, and gives you the wide end. Then with the swap you loose the reach you want for the aircraft.

What specific requirement is pushing you to the 18-135?

I am assuming that your 18-55 and 55-200 are both AF-S VR lenses. The 18-135 is a non VR lens. That is something you may not have considered. If you are looking for a 1 lens solution, the 18-200mm AF-S VR is a very popular replacement. It is not however, a step up in IQ. Many might say that it would be a step down.

+1 for @greybeard's 18-200 recommendation. If your giving up lens swapping for convenience you might as well get more range!

The Nikon 18-200 (or even the Tamron 18-270) are made for people to don't want to swap lenses. Image quality will be about the same as you are getting with your 18-55/55-200.. but don't expect anything better. You can find used Nikon 18-200's for around $450US (a new Tamron is around $550 with rebate right now).

You mention that at work you need the zoom. Zoom lenses are almost always at their worst when they're at their extremes. So at 135mm the 55-200mm will give you a better, less distorted picture than the 18-135mm will give you. Something else to consider.

With regard to the 18-200mm there is always the issue of IQ as longer focal lengths tend to degrade IQ and the models that have top notch IQ also also have top notch prices. Hence the debate of IQ vs convenience arises. So IMO, it really depends on what your priorities are. That said the 18-200mm still isn't a lemon in spite the arguments on IQ and is a very much usable lens considering its versatility. Do note that it's still rather pricey at around $800. The 18-105mm may be another alternative at half the price though a bit shorter than your proposed 18-135mm but it has VR also. Again some would argue about the IQ (There's a thread that discusses about who dumped that 18-105mm for better and more expensive glass here.) But then again there will always be better glass and others not being satisfied. And if possible try to use a loaner and see what's best for you. And if budget is a concern, consider used lenses or refurbs. And also look for other brands such as Sigma and Tamron (not familiar with their offerings though).

PS Colnago has a point too.

I have a Sigma 18-250 (its a 3.5-6.3) that I like alot, It is my walk around lens, It has great reach and is decently fast. I have the older version which can be found for about $300 on ebay. You lose the macro but that doesn't seem to be a concern. Its not quite as fast as an 18-200, but i have been happy with it so far.
I have mine on a canon so it could be different on another camera. I know the prices for the canon version tends to be a little more then a nikon version.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back