Milky Way/astro question

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Going to be clear skies early Sunday morning but we will be into the quarter moon. How much will that hurt my chances? I’ll be shooting pointing out to the ocean and that’s where the moon will be. Although the TPE app says moonrise is at 9:43 AM and moon set is at 11:26pm the night before??? I would be shooting at 2:30am. Does that mean no moon in the sky? I’ve never really paid attention to the Moonrise/moon set information before, especially at this time of year.

I don’t know what you are planning on shooting but this time of year the Milky Way isn’t out (well, the galactic center isn’t visible). To answer your question though, yes, the moon will not be out. What I’ve found interesting is shooting the moon as it sets. Sometimes you will see a deep red color that’s really cool.

I don’t know what you are planning on shooting but this time of year the Milky Way isn’t out (well, the galactic center isn’t visible). To answer your question though, yes, the moon will not be out. What I’ve found interesting is shooting the moon as it sets. Sometimes you will see a deep red color that’s really cool.

photo pills app says the core will be visible from 2:58-4;43am. The app has been pretty reliable. Also saw some pics from last weekend of the MW taken in this area. I know it won’t be perfect but if it will be visible at all I’m willing to give it a try. I need the practice for later in the season.

If I'm reading PP right the moon will be farther below the horizon than the sun for most of that time period. I don't think it will affect you. Good luck!

How’d it go? We’re you able to see it?

Thanks for checking, Yes was able to get some good photos - it’s pretty dark in that area if you’re looking out to sea. The camera had no problem picking it up. Was hard to make it out with the naked eye at first but after my eyes adjusted I could see it.

What wb do you use for astro?

I used to live in San Jose and they had all their streetlights use this weird orange color because the nearby observatory could filter that wavelength out. Now they’ve all switched over to LED so I don’t know if that’s still the case.

Most reactions

Back