Milky Way rising

jmandell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is 5 minute exposure of the milky way rising from the Sierra National Forest. The rotation of the earth was counter acted with an Astrotrac to keep the stars as regular points of light (not trails). Shot with a D700 and a 20 2.8 lens at f4, ISO 400, 5 min. exposure.
$DSC_9753.jpg
C&C welcome

Justin

I have always loved shots of the milky way. One day I hope to go somewhere dark enough so that I can actually see it. As far as this shot is concerned, I think that you should clone out the green streak in the bottom left hand corner. It only detracts from the image. Other than that, I like how you composed the image.

Amazing! I love that green and orange in the lower part, and I'm guessing the trees look bait blurred is because of the long exposure?

That's great. I was thinking that a 30sec exposure will get you star trails.... I wish I can take shots like these again, but being close to the tropics now, the air is way to humid to see a really clear night sky.

That's great. I was thinking that a 30sec exposure will get you star trails.... I wish I can take shots like these again, but being close to the tropics now, the air is way to humid to see a really clear night sky.

Normally anything over 30 seconds will start to get star trails but I have a special mount that track the rotation of the sky to keep stars sharp for up to 20-30 minutes at a time at 20mm, I can get ~3 minutes at 200mm before the mount starts to have errors. PM me if you want to know more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back