Milky Way

GDHLEWIS

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$milkyway 1.jpg$Milkyway 2.jpg
So finally got a chance to push my new lens, I bought the Rokinon 16mm for my DSLR D3200 based off a few Astrophotographers advice. I will admit that at first I was very hesitant about the lens but as my Family bought it for me as a gift I wasn't going to complain. I have not been disappointed with it at all. It has now replaced my trusty 35mm Nikkor as my go to lens, thing is so so simple and forgiving to use.
Well whilst on holiday in Cornwall UK we were blessed with some amazing weather and the continual generosity of my wife by the purchase on a new Vanguard tripod and the fact that my in-laws live in the sticks that is blessed with such clear sky's that the Milky-way is visible by the naked eye. The above photos are a couple I took whilst on a chill day, first real attempt at capturing the Milky-way, any comments are welcome.
Nikon D3200
16mm rokinon 2.0
30 seconds
ISO 800 & 1600 if memory serves me correctly.
Vanguard Alta Pro Tripod.

I really like the Milkyway1 jpeg.. :)

Nice! Lots of stars there.

I never realized how many stars there really are.. Cool!

Now try doing a landscape with the milky way hovering above!

Amazing photos! Especially the first one. Not much comment to be given here but I recently read an article on shooting the Milky Way Galaxy. I remember it saying that the Sagittarius constellation is the most photogenic part because it lies near the center of the galaxy where most stars are located. Out of curiosity, is that what you were taking a picture of?

Nice captures, now work on post processing. I have watched some youtube videos lately about how to process these and make them pop. Since you have it OK to edit, I pulled the first one down and tried to give it a go using some of the things that I learned. It could be better with the raw file, because I had to work to get a lot of the purple out of it and couldn't find a happy medium. If you want, I will remove this edit.

$milkyway 1-2.jpg

Cheers all, Ron I will be trying to reprocess them once time allows.

Old thread now I know but Ill add another edit for giggles.

Attachments

• TEST small.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 131

Most reactions

Back