Mini Speed Graphic restoration ...

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone know of a pdf of a Graflex Miniature Speed Graphic service manual?

I just recently had a G.A.S. attack. :confused:

I've serviced a few Speed Graphics and MPP MicrPress cameras it's not difficult, it's quite logical. The MicroPresss is essentially a British Speed Graphic same shutter etc.

Ian

Not sure if Mike Butkus' site would have one or not since his site has all kinds of manuals for SLRs, etc. Maybe try the Pittsburgh Camera Exchange, or Pacific Rim Camera, they have lots of oldies, goodies, and oddities.

Hmm, I was just looking at youtube videos about Speed Graphic camera ... funny seeing people who have just encountered their first large format camera trying to explain what it is vs the "old guys" who actually used them in the 50/60's.

... ok, just watched a video where a kid just stated it took him over half an hour trying to figure out how to open the front.

The Tube of You is an interesting place...

Are you familiar with Mat Marrash? He's done large format presentations/workshops I think and is darn good at using such a camera.

What is the miniature Speed Graphic?

Nope ... just watch a quick vid, and he actually knows how to load the film.

2 1/4 x 3 1/4 version of the pre-anniversary Speed Graphic ... model before the Pacemaker.

155359662.v2rN3fMo.DSC_5005_CROPBW_LG.jpg

Here is my 1938 baby Speed Graphic...it has a 101 mm f4.5 Wollensak Raptar lens, with a Rapax shutter, speeds of T and B and 1 second to 1/400. Flash synch and a Kalart coupled rangefinder. The "speed" part of the name comes from the in-body focal plane shutter which offers very fast speeds .

Last edited:
... ok, just watched a video where a kid just stated it took him over half an hour trying to figure out how to open the front.

I always enjoy the look on peoples' faces at estate/yard sales when I pick up a Graflex and open it up. They usually say something like, "How did you DO THAT?!?!?"

Same with some other folding cameras.

Derrel, you got a nice looking baby there.

Thanks. I got it in in the summer of 2014. I took it over to the Oregon coast and used it a few times and the looks and comments that it drew were quite remarkable.

Ok, just got the camera ... it took me 30s to open the camera.
Looks like it has been sitting around for a while, will need a really good cleaning ... the original case and wood film holders are a plus. The Kodak/Compur shutter sounds good, but the focal plane shutter really really needs service ... I can watch the slots go by in slow motion !!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back