Minimalist Photography

UncleRico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is an experiment. I hope you don't mind, but this assignment is a companion to a thread I started by asking the question, "What is minimalist photography," so you might want to reference it for background information.

Here's the poem for the assignment. It's a classic Imagist poem by Ezra Pound.
IN A STATION OF THE METRO

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.

--Ezra Pound

Have fun with it.

Link to referenced post: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photographic-discussions/157235-what-minimalist-photography.html

Last edited:
I trust this is going to be a great thread. This was a random shot I took at the local abandoned Mental Institution. Ended up bringing a model here and it is great location.

Love & Bass

20090124dsc0030.jpg

Last edited:
Fascinating. I'm not sure I really understand, but this really strikes a chord with me -- I think I have some minimalist tendencies already. I'll try posting something here later.

DeadEye -- I swear, I was just about to post a very similar photo! So instead I'll post a different one, and just link to my own Stairway to Fuel Oil photo (yes, I got a bit slap-happy -- I definitely do not think that art must be serious all the time).

Here is another one. It is very minimalist, and has a single clear subject. Is this the idea? Spare composition, single strong subject, lack of distractions? I'm curious to hear.

main.php

I trust this is going to be a great thread. This was a random shot I took at the local abandoned Mental Institution. Ended up bringing a model here and it is great location.

Love & Bass

20090124dsc0030.jpg

Thanks for the post, Craig. I'm sorry for not responding sooner.

I should say that I am a Noob, I just started this thread hoping to stimulate conversation. I'm happy to offer my opinions, but take them for what they are. (I also think I incorrectly started the thread. Apparently, we're supposed to submit ideas for assignments--truly sorry mods) :blushing:

In my read of the poem, I think you captured the implied contrast well.

I like the angle of your shot, and the colors are vivid.

Good job.

Ryan

Hey DeadEye. I think this is a nice image. It almost looks like you could rotate the image and seem something similar (kind of MC Escher (did I spell that right).

The high contrast also seems indicitave of the poem.

Ryan

DeadEye -- I swear, I was just about to post a very similar photo! So instead I'll post a different one, and just link to my own Stairway to Fuel Oil photo (yes, I got a bit slap-happy -- I definitely do not think that art must be serious all the time).

Here is another one. It is very minimalist, and has a single clear subject. Is this the idea? Spare composition, single strong subject, lack of distractions? I'm curious to hear.

main.php

Hi DCClark. I really like this one. I think the blue and white are a nice contrast, which seems to be a theme in interpretation of Pound's poem. In terms of your assumptions about minimalist photography, I'm not sure what the professionals say, but I think you've captured it.

Thanks for the submissions. Maybe I'll have some time to try one of my own--way to busy this week.

Ryan

It's basically the universal truth that many times less is more.
You don't have to coat it with a fancy word. But Ill admit it DOES get your
attention.

awesome shot deadeye

awesome shot deadeye

Thank You. Here is another from that day. The tank next to it had an interesting shadow from the guard loops on a vertical ladder. I post tilted and toned it to be abstract.

Untitled-1%20copy.jpg

Thank You. Here is another from that day. The tank next to it had an interesting shadow from the guard loops on a vertical ladder. I post tilted and toned it to be abstract.

DeadEye, really like the second shot. Looks like musical notes or written Arabic. Very cool.

I like your image a_spaceman. I think it is interesting you chose to post an image that has a dark subject against a light background.

The way I read the poem had me picturing a light subject against a dark background, but I think you show that the image coveyed in the poem illustrates the concept of contrast.

Thanks for sharing.

Ryan​

Most reactions

New Topics

Back