MiniTT1

You might want to check out Cybersyncs, from what I hear they're similar quality as pocketwizards, but with a slightly shorter range. and much easier on your bank account, haha.

I just ordered a set of them for shooting skateboarding.

How are you going to mount the flashes? I'm pretty clueless about water sports photography, but my brother is big into wakeboarding so it might be something i should look into

im gonna have them on light stands on shore. Ill check out the cybersyncs. Ill basically have the same set up as you, But with wakeskating.

The new Pocket Wizards are E-TTL for Canon only right now. The Nikon versions are expected out in another month or two.

I don't think you would actually need E-TTL though. I'm guessing the scenario would be fairly consistent so once you found the right settings, you could just leave them set in manual power.

Some one who was featured on the strobist blog made water tight enclosures with PVC and end caps with clear lexan so that one wakeboarder could be off the the side holding the strobe combo and the subject could be doing whatever.

so you dont think I'll need the TTL? I have to change so many settings on the fly. Is it a pain to walk back and forth to try and figure out the settings? The sun sets pretty fast. Would it be worth it to wait for the New PW's? I can get two recievers and one transceiver for 400. They are almost new.

VI, do you have a link to that? That set up would be beyond perfect for what i need.

Don't *you* know what you want? (lol)
As far as setting sun... its a fast process, but come on, its not THAT fast. You have a good 10-15 minutes for the process, enough to do an easy 100 shots in manual (or 150 shots in TTL) if you wanted within that amount of time.

As for the Flex5 for Nikons, they aren't coming out for several months yet. I have the money aside for 4 of them and will order when they do become available.

Edit: Remember, TTL is nice becuase it is automatic, but it doesn't know what YOU want, it just has a very singular purpose of trying to consistently expose the subject in the same manner from pic to pic to pic. This may NOT be what you, as a photographer, wants. TTL has some very specific places where it rules (fast changing conditions from light to dark to light in many variances), but a sunset is not what I would call one of those conditions. This is a time *I* want to be in control, know what I want and not leave the exposure aspect in the hands of the camera.

Last edited:
sorry jerry, i meant Ittl I dont know. i guess fully manual flash with two flashes is just a little intimidating. Should i just read the whole entire strobist site? lol

Nah, stick to Lighting 101 and 102 at strobist, and DO the practices. It is *not* hard. Look, if women can do this, it can't be all that hard, can it?
<ducks and runs for the door> :lol:

Kidding aside, start with 1 trigger, 1 receiver, play with 1 off-camera light. That is the basis of it all. If you can do 1-light setups WITH understanding, the rest is just variations on a theme.

I have access to as many as 8 light sources now, and find that I can use 1 for 90% of what I do, but choose 2 for a little more control.

Hey, if Zack Arias and other well known photographers can get away with becoming FAMOUS for using one light (Zack's video is called ONELIGHT, and thats all he uses in 2 DVDs... ONE light), I can work at it to get better with one light source as well and others could too if they wanted.

haha! true that!

I have been playing with cls for a while now and i have got some decent shots. ( ejazzle.blogspot.com ) The cls just isnt cuttin it for me. And i wanna start shooting from far away.

what about Skyports? How are they? I need feedback ASAP, this guy with 3 PW plus II, two flash stands and flash adapters is waiting on my decision... (he wants 500 for all that)

Do your homework! There is a huge drop in PWIIs lately and there is a $25 rebate. You may be able to purchase new ones for the price he is asking. A deal is not a deal if you do not know what the prices and market values for any purchase are. ;)

everywhere i have looked they are around 160 and up. 160 x 3 = 480...
He was gonna sell me three for 400. Then all the adapters, light stands and all that good stuff was an extra $100. Do you think the pw plus II will get down to like 100 bucks soon?

I'd wait if the new PW's allow you to keep CLS control. If you have flashes being held by other people then you can adjust power and ratio from the camera. Nikon's CLS system is pretty robust from friends' cameras I've been seing. Plus TTL and sports are nice as the nature of sport is unpredictable.

Strobist: 5th-Place SPOY Winner, Via Peoples' Choice Vote

Sorry, protective bag. My idea was for the PVC tube. Heh...oops.

cls is a pain in the ass usually though. It doesnt always fire. It has to be almost perfect situation for it to happen. Wait, can you use cls as like a control for the flashes through the new PWs and not have to use the pop up flash? Will old PWs work with these new ones with CLS?

What about skyports? are they any good?

Most reactions

Back