Minolta 5D or 7D

Leo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been thinking about getting a Minolta 5D or 7D. I already got a Minolta 500si and would like to use my lenses on the Digital. Anybody out there with a Minolta 5D or 7D? How do you like it? Did you ever wish you got something else?

I have the 7D. I have two 35mm bodies that I use with most of my lenses also. I don't think I've ever wished I'd bought something else. It is a great camera. There are so many different cameras out there and most, if not all, are great. For me it was an easy choice. I liked the fact that the AS (anti-shake) was built into the body and not the lenses. This turns pretty much every lens into an AS lens. Not to mention all of the controls are pretty much dial, knob, or button driven. there aren't too many that are menu driven. The ones that are, aren't ones you'd need to use/change while shooting. this makes adjustments very easy, most can be done with the camera still up to your eye. Keep in mind this is all on the 7D. The 5D is pretty close, but some options that are dail, knob, or button driven are only accessible through the menu. That fact not withstanding, the 5D is still a great camera.

Thanks for the reply....I will look into the 7D

I have a 5d, and although i love it dearly it does have a couple of problems.
The AF focus on older lenses or in the dark is not brilliant. Flash compatability is not great either (as yet) and it sets its self to the (dedicated for digital flashes/lenses) ADI for dedicated digital lenses and flashes every time you put it on program or change a lense wich is annoying and then it wont expose correctly untill you adjust it again, not a big problem untill you are in a hurry to get that quick shot that needs a different lense and then you find out it is 2 stops under.
The Konica minolta camera dept has just been sold to sony so what the service or upgrade path will be on your collection of lenses will be is a bit worrying.
That said the anti shake is brilliant the ergonomics are much better than the canon d20 at work and it has more or less everything the 7d has and a DOF preview button so you can see what will be in focus before you take the picture and it is a fair bit cheaper. I definatly prefere it to the nikon and canon (which both have similar teathing troubles) equivilant but untill i know what is comming from sony i wouldnt by it in prefference unless i had loads of lenses allready.
Price on DSLR bodies is very important because you are not as likley to keep them as a film as they will go out of date very very quickly so i recomend getting the cheapest you can in this case definatly the 5d over the 7d because they are very similar with respect to what they can do (unless money is no object).

hth

tim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back