Minolta Film Cameras

New to the forum.

I started in photography with a Minolta SRT200 and 45mm f/2 MD Rokkor that I bought new as a teenager in the late 1970s. Today I shoot mostly Leica (M Monochrom), but I still maintain a Minolta kit for film. Currently I have a roll of Tri-X about half finished in my XE-7 and have an XD-11 in the cabinet that could use new leatherette, but otherwise is in great shape. Its an early XD-11 without the green marking on the 1/125th shutter speed.

The XE-7 is by far my favorite Minolta body. It has the solid heft that I loved in the SRT and still love in the Leica M Monochrom, with just enough automation (aperture priority only) and that smooth Copal-Leitz shutter that is a luxurious delight with every release. I also like the moving needle instead of LEDs for shutter speed / meter display and the frame counter on the back of the camera. My XE-7 is in almost new condition and is simply a joy to behold.

Of course the main reason to own any of this stuff is for the images, and Minolta glass is about the best of its time available from Japan. I have fairly humble Minolta lenses, a late MD Rokkor 28mm f/2.8 that is quite boring in specification, but produces beautiful images on film. An early MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 is a fantastic lens, with outstanding sharpness in the center from wide-open, sharp to the corners at f/4 and lovely bokeh. Finally I have an old MC Rokkor PF 135mm f/2.8 which is widely regarded as the weakest of Minolta's MC/MD 135s as far as technical quality (sharpness wide-open), but possessing the best bokeh. These lenses and the two bodies cost me less than $300 recently at a camera show, all are in near mint condition, and despite their low cost, they are a delight to use, and that says a lot coming from a picky Leica user.

So to the original OP, by all means find a nice Minolta body, and more importantly some nice Minolta glass. MC and MD Rokkors are best.

New to the forum.

I started in photography with a Minolta SRT200 and 45mm f/2 MD Rokkor that I bought new as a teenager in the late 1970s. Today I shoot mostly Leica (M Monochrom), but I still maintain a Minolta kit for film. Currently I have a roll of Tri-X about half finished in my XE-7 and have an XD-11 in the cabinet that could use new leatherette, but otherwise is in great shape. Its an early XD-11 without the green marking on the 1/125th shutter speed.

The XE-7 is by far my favorite Minolta body. It has the solid heft that I loved in the SRT and still love in the Leica M Monochrom, with just enough automation (aperture priority only) and that smooth Copal-Leitz shutter that is a luxurious delight with every release. I also like the moving needle instead of LEDs for shutter speed / meter display and the frame counter on the back of the camera. My XE-7 is in almost new condition and is simply a joy to behold.

Of course the main reason to own any of this stuff is for the images, and Minolta glass is about the best of its time available from Japan. I have fairly humble Minolta lenses, a late MD Rokkor 28mm f/2.8 that is quite boring in specification, but produces beautiful images on film. An early MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.4 is a fantastic lens, with outstanding sharpness in the center from wide-open, sharp to the corners at f/4 and lovely bokeh. Finally I have an old MC Rokkor PF 135mm f/2.8 which is widely regarded as the weakest of Minolta's MC/MD 135s as far as technical quality (sharpness wide-open), but possessing the best bokeh. These lenses and the two bodies cost me less than $300 recently at a camera show, all are in near mint condition, and despite their low cost, they are a delight to use, and that says a lot coming from a picky Leica user.

So to the original OP, by all means find a nice Minolta body, and more importantly some nice Minolta glass. MC and MD Rokkors are best.

Great first post the one before yours was more than 4 years ago

Most reactions

Back