Minolta Lens Help

samyjoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Minolta XG-1, I was told that MC and MD Lenses fit on it so I bought a Vivitar 28mm F/2.8 MC Lens thinking it would fit but it doesn't. Is there a converter i can buy for it to fit?

As I recall, on "some" independently manufactured lenses back in the 1970's and 80's, the term MC was sometimes used on the front of the lens nameplate area, in reference to "Multi Coated". So...it's possible that the MC on the front of the lens means...multi-coated. I think it's possible that you have a lens that is not a Minolta mount lens. If it were of the right mount, it should fit right on the camera.

As I recall, on "some" independently manufactured lenses back in the 1970's and 80's, the term MC was sometimes used on the front of the lens nameplate area, in reference to "Multi Coated". So...it's possible that the MC on the front of the lens means...multi-coated. I think it's possible that you have a lens that is not a Minolta mount lens. If it were of the right mount, it should fit right on the camera.

:thumbup: Yep, sounds like you didn't get a Minolta mount lens. As for a converter depends on what mount you actually have.

That's right. On Minolta-branded (Rokkor) lenses, MC and MD refer to different series within the Minolta SR mount lenses. MC lenses were an earlier series, with the letters standing for meter-coupled, meaning you could take your exposure meter reading without having to stop down the lens. The MD series came letter, intended for use with cameras with cameras with shutter-priority and Program exposure modes. So you were told correctly, inasmuch as all Minolta cameras maintained the SR lens mount design, and so can use any SR-mount lens, whether in the MC series, MD series, or any other series.

When dealing with non-Rokkor lenses, as mentioned, the MC designation always refers to a Multi-Coated lens, no matter which camera it was made for. When buying these, always make sure the item description specifically says "Minolta mount."

Tedski

Thank you for the help. I was told by the Ebay seller this was for Minoltas MD mounts and that it would fit an XG-1.

Thank you for the help. I was told by the Ebay seller this was for Minoltas MD mounts and that it would fit an XG-1.

Does a Minolta manual focus rear lens cap fit on the Vivitar 100% perfectly and snugly? The e-Bay seller may have made a perfectly honest mistake; again, that MC on the front of the lens might have fooled the seller, who had earlier seen MC Rokkor, or MC Celtic lenses, and confused the "MC" meaning multi-coated with Minolta's own system's use of the MC moniker.

All the Vivitar 28mm f2.8's look that photo.
This is the end that counts.
DSC_0159.JPG

Sigma 28mm F2 8 for Minolta MC Mount Lens Used | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It says its a PK-A/R is there any way I can make that fit onto my Minolta XG-1 idk how the eBay seller mistakes this for fitting on a minolta when it says for Pentax KA Ricoh on the box

Most reactions

New Topics

Back