Minolta X-370 (HELP PLEASE)

Audyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HELP!!! How would i be able to stop motion with this camera? i'm going to be taking pictures outdoors a lot (i'm focusing on skateboarders/snowboarders). my light meter is always going to be set at 1000 because i'm shooting outside. or am I using too much light? thanks! but where would the shutter speed be?

Meter off of a gray card when you get to your location. It would be impossible for someone to determine what your shutter speed should be without either being there or having more information.

As a general rule of thumb, use fast shutter speeds to stop motion. In lower lighting, this would usually require a fast, large-aperture lens, but in bright outdoor lighting I would assume that this wouldn't always be necessary. Do some test shots to get a baseline and adjust your shutter speeds and aperture settings from there.

Fast shutter speed for stopping action. How bright it is outside determines on how fast of a shutter speed you can have with a given aperature. Sunny 16 rule would give you a shutter of 1/125 with 100 ISO/ ASA film at f/16 aperature. Sunny 16 rule is a basic rule of thumb that was used before everyone had a meter. It is a rough guidline for basic picture taking exposures. But it is fairly accurate.
1/125 shutter speed should be fine for stopping a boarder. You may need to go to 1/250. If you do that going by sunny 16, you would need to open up the lens 1 stop (go to f/11).
Now say its an overcast day and its not bright enough for 1/250 and f/11. And you really need f/11 and 1/250 to get the shots you want. Solution switch to 200 ASA or even 400 ASA film if its really over cast. Each step up in film speed allows you 1 faster shutter speed while keeping the aperature the same.

Now your camera meter will tell you what shutter speed to use for a given aperature. Say at f/11 the meter reads 1/60 for shutter speed. To get faster shutter you have 2 choices. Change the aperature so that less is in sharp focus (larger aperature [smaller number] gives a faster shutter but less in focus). Or go with faster film.

exposure in a motion situation has to be determined first by speed but also by depth of field. You are not going to have much time to focus accurately so you want as much depth of field as possible.. shutter speed of 1000 is faster than you need most likely.

First of all use a fast film so you can kick up the exposure index, Then most likely you want a shutter speed of about 500 250 if you are shoot down the throat should be enough. Then you was as small an aperture as is possible.

I would not go for 1000 sp it if mean a f4 for instance. It just depends but do not forsake depth of field for shutter speed if you do you will be sorry in the end. You want a good compromise between the two. Not particularly weighted to either side.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back