minolta xe-7

electricalperson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i recently found one of these cameras in the basement. the shutter doesnt work and it needs to be cleaned. anyone else have one of these cameras? i want to get it fixed and working. it was my fathers

i recently found one of these cameras in the basement. the shutter doesnt work and it needs to be cleaned. anyone else have one of these cameras? i want to get it fixed and working. it was my fathers

The XE-7 was one of Minolta's finest cameras of that time. Made to look, feel and act like a Leica R3 (Leitz collaborated with Minolta), the XE-7, as it's known in the USA, can be repaired at a qualified shop. We have another thread here dedicated to repair shops.

Good luck.

You could replace it for $30 or $40 from the right source. A lot less than even a simple CLA. Two things to check though. And here's why.

First, make sure you have fresh batteries. The camera has a battery check on it. There is a lever on the side of the camera body beneath the film rewind crank. Press this lever down and the red light should illuminate if the batteries are good.

Second, and I only suggest this as I was given an XG-1 as a 'junk camera' because the shutter wouldn't advance so I thought a capacitor had fried. But I was fiddling with it on Friday and I noticed that the edge of the shutter curtain was not perpendicular to the bottom of the shutter frame inside where you load the film. It was cocked a bit so I took the end of a ball point pen and lightly pressed the one shutter curtain over to the side and it slid over on the spring's tension. Then I pressed over the other curtain and it slid over on its spring tension as well and the mirror popped down. Not a junk camera anymore.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back