Miranda Sensorex II

rdnzl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I picked up this nice Sensorex II package today. Everything works, and is in very nice condition. I don't know much about Miranda cameras, except for what I googled a few days ago. It seems like a pretty decent quality setup. Anyone shoot one of these?

AUA9641.jpg

wYbueds.jpg

gQxF0S6.jpg

ClOmgMK.jpg

ybhisA0.jpg

tlWM75N.jpg

I have a Sensorex ... not the II, with a different viewfinder. Haven't shot it yet but I agree, the quality seems good.

The original Sensorex was my first 35mm SLR. Well built, decent optics and some really cool features like the removable/interchangeable viewfinder and the shutter release in a much more sensible location than almost any other SLR. They were an attempt to build quality at a decent price.

I thought Mirandas had both an internal and an external bayonet mount? Somewhat similar to the system used in old CONTAX rangefinders?

Mirandas are well made (excepting the last model DX-3) cameras with advanced features for their day like interchangeable prisms and some models have spot meters. The bodies have two lens mounts -- a 44mm screw mount (for the older lenses) and a bayonet mount for the newer ones. The bayonet lenses evolved adding automatic features that the later bodies provided. The last lens line was the E series followed by the EC series.

I shot one for a day. My nephew and I swapped cameras (Nikon F) for a day this past summer. It was a bayonet style lens, I think it was a 50mm 1.8 Miranda lens. It was sharp. I didn't use the meter, I just used sunny 16. The meter worked but I didn't trust it, it seemed off by a couple stops. The images I took were properly exposed, the first one I took, with meter was under exposed. Strange shutter button placement but it actually made more sense. The build quality was excellent, reminded me of my F2. Smooth operation all the way around. I kept going for the shutter on top, took about a quarter roll to get away from it. He worked at a thrift store and bought for like $5 and it was in excellent condition. He really liked my F and he ended up buying one with a waist level finder.

Not familiar with the Mirandas but I like the looks of it. I have vintage cameras that have features in different places and it just takes stopping and thinking for a sec what camera I'm using. That or I can almost whack myself in the forehead switching back and forth! lol You get used to it.

Have fun with it.

It is pretty nice that it came with the boxes and the manual. I wonder how many of those are still left after all these years?
The case is also like new.

There is even a clear plastic piece that fits into the shoe to protect it when not being used. It is embossed with Miranda in the plastic. Nice touch.

Something else I think I am going to like is the "coupler" for the lens makes a great "tab' for changing the aperture. No looking for a ring. The tab does it. And the feel of the "action" is very smooth, with a quality feel to it.

The Miranda bayonet mount is also very quick to mount or remove lenses. You only have to turn it a short distance but it is secure.

It has been 30+ years since I have handled a Miranda...

You don't have to answer that Derrel

A question for youse guys..….if I use an LR44 battery (1.5v) instead of the 1.34v battery, would it make sense to adjust the ISO to compensate for the overactive meter? That is, when using ISO 100 film, set the camera for ISO 50? In my little pea brain, it seems to make sense.

Most reactions

Back