Mirror broke off of main mirror?

mara_ce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
A mirror with arms on both sides broke from the main mirror of my Nikon D3100. It used to be like a back flap on the main mirror that opened a bit or closed. I tried popping it back into place (prolly a mistake, I know) but when I did, my auto focus would not work. The camera works well in live view but now will not focus or shoot through the viewfinder.

Guessing this is something I will not be able to pop back into place myself? Is it gonna cost a lot to send back to Nikon and have them fix? I'm thinking of upgrading to an FX anyway, so if we're talking about a repair that'll cost over $200, I'll probably just buy a new camera. (I didn't pay that much for the camera body and kit lens, honestly.) Would a local camera shop possibly be cheaper than Nikon re: repairs?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I think it's a tossup as to repairing this D3100, or just scrapping it...you could send it in for an estimate, but...D3100's really do not have a lot of value these days...and I agree, if it's over $200, I would ditch it. Man...that sucks...I feel bad for you.

That little mirror on the back of the main mirror directs light from the lens down to the auto focus module (that uses phase detection to AF) that is in the bottom of the camera.
In Live View mode the AF module in the bottom of the camera is not used for AF.
Live View uses a separate contrast-detection AF system.

Nikon's online Service Support page indicates that a D3100 repair for a focus problem is $148.

Last edited:
Thanks! I've started the search for another camera. Looking at the D600...but it's so $$$. Also, I like some of my DX lenses and am unsure if I want to go through buying new ones.
I may take my D3100 to a camera shop here in the Boston area and ask for an estimate re: repair.
Going through snaps withdrawal...horrible!

If you consider the D600 expensive, then your FF search has concluded.

Bummer to hear about your camera. Hard to see an old friend on hard times lol

If you consider the D600 expensive, then your FF search has concluded.

Bummer to hear about your camera. Hard to see an old friend on hard times lol

Yeah, I don't want to spend over 1K for a camera...and end up breaking it like the one I had.

I brought a used D7000 today for $350. Dunno if that's the best price but seemed okay from what I am seeing on Ebay and Amazon. Low shutter count. Hopefully it'll be in good shape when I get it.

Oh yeah, for $350 you're doing pretty good with a D7000 in hand. Has all the major benefits of the pro bodies with good IQ and obviously a great price. Dual command wheels, bracketing, CLS, 2nd display, etc.

Glad to hear! That $150 difference from your $200 fix it or trash threshold was well spent!

D7000 is a great camera .. I happen to have one too :)

you'll love the flexibility that it gives you over the lower end bodies.

It also opens up a world of higher quality and also less expensive lenses. You can purchase "AF-D" (aka AF) type lenses which use the in-body motor for focusing. And normally costs ALOT less than the modern AF-S G lenses.

I originally bought a d7000 just because I knew it would save me a ton of money in buying lenses. Otherwise I would only have a few lenses instead of a nice collection that I have now.

D7000 is a great camera .. I happen to have one too :)

you'll love the flexibility that it gives you over the lower end bodies.

It also opens up a world of higher quality and also less expensive lenses. You can purchase "AF-D" (aka AF) type lenses which use the in-body motor for focusing. And normally costs ALOT less than the modern AF-S G lenses.

I originally bought a d7000 just because I knew it would save me a ton of money in buying lenses. Otherwise I would only have a few lenses instead of a nice collection that I have now.

Yes, one of my lenses is a Tokina 12 - 24mm F/4 PRO DX. I had to manually focus when using it with the D3100 but my understanding is it will autofocus with the D7000.

Yes, one of my lenses is a Tokina 12 - 24mm F/4 PRO DX. I had to manually focus when using it with the D3100 but my understanding is it will autofocus with the D7000.
Yes the original 12-24 requires a screw focus (from what I've read in the past) as the II version is an internal motor.

Saves you alot of money not having to get AF-S type lenses. Plus you'll notice the focusing options are alot better than the lower cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back