Mirror lock-up problem

plastii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there.

I'm having a problem with mirror lock-up on my D80. I've never did it before and I'm not sure where to go from here. What I do is go to menu, mirror lock-up option, OK and I'm getting the following msg: " When shutter button is pressed, the mirror lifts and shutter opens. To lower mirror, turn camera off". After I press the shutter I can hear one click and I can do NOTHING. Blank LCD until I turn the camera off.

So when I lock-up the mirror I can't take any photos.

Thanks
Marek.

SCHNOOBS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
No, you cannot take any photos. the primary reason mirror lock-up is there is to clean the sensor inside the camera itself. that is really its only purpose.
it scared me too the first time I did it with my D70.

Sideburns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Well on my XT, it's a bit different..perhaps there's more than one "version" on your camera.

I push the shutter, then the mirror flips..then I take the picture....and the mirror flips back down.

OP
plastii

plastii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Well on my XT, it's a bit different..perhaps there's more than one "version" on your camera.

I push the shutter, then the mirror flips..then I take the picture....and the mirror flips back down.

That's what I'm looking for, but in this case I can't take any photos. If I'm not mistaken this is possible on almost every mid level DSLR so why it doesn't work with my D80. That's my problem/question.

Thanks

OP
plastii

plastii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I think I found the answer. I spend few hours looking for the answer and I think the D80 desn't have this option. Mirror lock-up on D80 i only for cleaning purposes only. I can use exposure delay option to eliminate mirror shakes.

m1a1fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think I found the answer. I spend few hours looking for the answer and I think the D80 desn't have this option. Mirror lock-up on D80 i only for cleaning purposes only. I can use exposure delay option to eliminate mirror shakes.

Yep, that was going to be my reply. :lol: Use the Exposure Delay Option.

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
For the record on Nikons there is a subtle difference in wording.

Mirror Lock Up - is the cleaning mode.
Mirror Up (or Mup) - is the mode you are all talking about that allows you to take the exposure. (D200 has this)

However the exposure delay mode works almost flawlessly as far as I have found even with a 300mm lens.

Most reactions

New Topics