Mirror problem with Peleng 8mm on nikon dslr

skoundrel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.skoundrel.ca
whats the word! ive been creeping on the forums for a while now but this is my first post.

Does anyone have a peleng 8mm with a d70s or know someone who does? i want a cheap temp fisheye but have heard that the mirror may come in contact with part of the lens.

Any comments on this lens or any similar ones with a similar setup would be great!

I have neither an 8mm lens or a Nikon dSLR, so I don't have any personal knowledge, but I did some Googleage...

This site says...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
On my Nikon D70, the mirror is also often – but not always – caught at a distance setting >2 m but only when going down. This means that the exposure is OK, but the finder will stay dark after the exposure. If I then turn the distance setting to about 1 m or nearer, the mirror flaps back to where it belongs. It seems that no harm is done to either be camera of the lens. Note that other D70 owners have not reported this kind of problem.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also this guy uses a D70 / Peleng 8mm combination; doesn't mention any problems.

I guess go for it but make sure you keep the receipt :D

I cannot speak as of the Nikon, but I purchased a peling 8mm for my KM 7D. The Lens is a universal fit lens that needs an adapter to fit onto it. So with that being said, I would suppose that the focal distance is considered with the Nikon adapter for the Peling and as such there should not be any interference taking place.

I did some research before asking but i couldnt find anything about the d70s, just the d70 and d100 http://www.muellerworld.com/peleng/
it seemd that the lens was convex at the mounting end, and suggested that it might be a problem as "the
Mirror occasionally catches on the lens infinity focus"

are the mechanics of the mirror (and thus the distance) the same in the d70 and d70s?

i really do not want to purchase it if it will "occasionally" get smacked by the mirror!

I'm a little confused (don't worry, that happens a lot)... surely the glass extends the furthest inside the body when the lens is focussed at infinity; surely it always extends that far at infinity, and presumably the mirror isn't loose... if it was going to hit the lens then why wouldn't it hit the lens whenever it's at infinity... why only "occasionally"?

my peleng finally came in the mail. No problems! I havent experimented with it enough yet... but i couldnt be any happier! only downside is it doesnt work in automatic.. but what do you expect for a 300$ 8mm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back