Mirrorless body/system: Canon RP or Nikon Z5?

Which body/system: Canon RP or Nikon Z5?

• Nikon Z5

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Canon RP

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

ulrichsd

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
home.fuse.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my 10 year old D7000 to a mirrorless camera. Mainly kids photos and kids sports, with some vacation, landscape and wildlife photography. And video is nice, but secondary. I love my 35mm and 50mm primes for low profile and fast aperture, which seems like Canon has a lot more prime lens options right now. Nikon's options are more expensive and bulkier...

1. Canon RP w/ 24-105mm f4-7.1 ($1300), 100-400mm 5.6-8 ($650),16mm ($300), 50mm ($200), 85mm macro ($600) = $3050
OR
2. Nikon Z5 w/ 24-200mm ($2100) and 14-30mm ($1300) = $3400

I'm really leaning toward the RP - is there anything that I'm missing in this comparison??? The main issue I've read with the Canon's is battery life, but bringing a spare battery isn't a big deal, and single card slot (I'm not a professional and in 10 years I've never had a failure so I'm thinking this isn't a major issue either).

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:

Nikon photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
geoffbrown63.wixsite.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've not long sold my D7000 and all my F mount lenses, apart from a couple of Sigma lenses (105 macro & 150-600) once the Nikkor Z 105 macro becomes available I'll be selling on the Sigma.

And purchased a Z5 with the 24-70 & 14-30 f4 lenses

One thing I really liked on the D7000 was the dual card slots, as I set them for Jpeg files on the one card and Raw on the other, it saved me a lot of time, I've been a Nikon user since buying a used F2 photomic back in the late 1980's, and never had a reason to change.

OP
ulrichsd

ulrichsd

Reaction score
Website
home.fuse.net
Photos OK to edit
I've not long sold my D7000 and all my F mount lenses, apart from a couple of Sigma lenses (105 macro & 150-600) once the Nikkor Z 105 macro becomes available I'll be selling on the Sigma.

And purchased a Z5 with the 24-70 & 14-30 f4 lenses

One thing I really liked on the D7000 was the dual card slots, as I set them for Jpeg files on the one card and Raw on the other, it saved me a lot of time, I've been a Nikon user since buying a used F2 photomic back in the late 1980's, and never had a reason to change.

Did you even consider a change in formats? I started with a D90 about 12 years ago and switched to a D7000.... Using Canon just feels dirty, but I'm falling in love with their current prime lens lineup (and the prices as well).

I know its not popular, but I've only ever shot jpg - I already struggle with file storage as is, I don't want to think about storing 2 of every file :(

Nikon photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
geoffbrown63.wixsite.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Did you even consider a change in formats? I started with a D90 about 12 years ago and switched to a D7000.... Using Canon just feels dirty, but I'm falling in love with their current prime lens lineup (and the prices as well).

I know its not popular, but I've only ever shot jpg - I already struggle with file storage as is, I don't want to think about storing 2 of every file :(
After so long using Nikon, I really didn't even consider another brand, my first Nikon digital was the D70, bought while I was working overseas, then a few years later upgraded to the D90,then the D7000, I had a nice P7100 as a travel camera, replaced by a V1, I sold both of those, and just bought a Z50 as a Holiday/travel camera.

I did help a family member set up their Canon DSLR a few years ago, I neither liked the way it fitted in my hand or the menu, If you can use one Nikon, you can use them all, the menus are so similar if not the same.

ac12

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
The problem with both Nikon and Canon, is how they are prioritizing the production/release of lenses in their mirrorless systems.
If the lens you want is already out, fine. If not, you have to WAIT, or use a legacy F/EF lens via an adapter to the Z or R camera.

If you switch to Canon, life will suck for a while, as Canon does things different than Nikon. Then you will gradually get used to how the Canon works, and life will be OK again.
What sucks: to mount/unmount the EF lens you turn the lens in the opposite direction as Nikon F (presumably same for R and Z lenses), zoom ring turns in the opposite direction as Nikon, the menu is different (so finding stuff will be a challenge), etc.

As for battery life, or lack of life, get used to it. Mirrorless cameras use the battery faster than dSLRs. From what I've figured out, mirrorless battery life is primarily dependent on power ON time, not the number of shots.
And it is not just the batteries, but the chargers and charging process. On my last vacation with an Olympus EM1-mk1, I brought three batteries, and two chargers. I should have brought FOUR batteries. I charged in two shifts; two batteries as soon as I got to the hotel, and the 3rd battery overnight.

OP
ulrichsd

ulrichsd

Reaction score
Website
home.fuse.net
Photos OK to edit
If you switch to Canon, life will suck for a while, as Canon does things different than Nikon. Then you will gradually get used to how the Canon works, and life will be OK again.
What sucks: to mount/unmount the EF lens you turn the lens in the opposite direction as Nikon F (presumably same for R and Z lenses), zoom ring turns in the opposite direction as Nikon, the menu is different (so finding stuff will be a challenge), etc.

As for battery life, or lack of life, get used to it. Mirrorless cameras use the battery faster than dSLRs. From what I've figured out, mirrorless battery life is primarily dependent on power ON time, not the number of shots.
And it is not just the batteries, but the chargers and charging process. On my last vacation with an Olympus EM1-mk1, I brought three batteries, and two chargers. I should have brought FOUR batteries. I charged in two shifts; two batteries as soon as I got to the hotel, and the 3rd battery overnight.

Thanks for the info. For me, I'll usually get an entire week with one battery on my d7000. I find that the main "battery killer" is soccer where I'm tracking a moving target and holding focus for periods of time with the lens stabilization active.

ac12

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thanks for the info. For me, I'll usually get an entire week with one battery on my d7000. I find that the main "battery killer" is soccer where I'm tracking a moving target and holding focus for periods of time with the lens stabilization active.

hmmm, never noticed that.
Well soccer is in the winter season, so December, then I can try and monitor my battery usage.

Space Face

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have heard great things about the RP. Saw a Youtube video by some well regarded photographer when I was researching it a few months ago. Damned if I can remember who it was. I'll link it if I do remember. I'm a Canon user so don't have an opinion on Nikon or other brands for that matter.

Rickbb

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Quality of either is great, so brand is a wash.

If you don’t mind losing your existing glass and re-learning everything on the camera then Cannon would be a serious front runner.

Some people call me a loyal Nikon guy, but it’s only because I have a cabinet full of old Nikon gear I have acquired over the past 45 years. It makes switching brands near impossible for me now.

Find a good camera store and hold them both, shoot some stuff and see what ”speaks“ to you. Thats what I did back in the mid 70’s and why I have all that Nikon stuff. If I were doing that now not sure Nikon or SLR would come out on top.

Space Face

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here: I know Rockwell ain't everyones cuppa but this is a pretty good review.

OP
ulrichsd

ulrichsd

Reaction score
Website
home.fuse.net
Photos OK to edit
Quality of either is great, so brand is a wash.

If you don’t mind losing your existing glass and re-learning everything on the camera then Cannon would be a serious front runner.

Some people call me a loyal Nikon guy, but it’s only because I have a cabinet full of old Nikon gear I have acquired over the past 45 years. It makes switching brands near impossible for me now.

Find a good camera store and hold them both, shoot some stuff and see what ”speaks“ to you. Thats what I did back in the mid 70’s and why I have all that Nikon stuff. If I were doing that now not sure Nikon or SLR would come out on top.

My current lenses, I really don't think I would use on the Z body... At $250 for the converter, I'd just skip it and use that money to buy a telephoto Z lens.

I was getting ready to sell my Sigma 18-250 and Nikon 80-200 f/2.8, and just couldn't do it LOL - for what I'd get for them, it might just be better to keep them as I still plan on using my D7000 on occasion... As much as I hate that Sigma lens, I'd probably only get $80-100 for it and maybe $250 for the 80-200...

Here: I know Rockwell ain't everyones cuppa but this is a pretty good review.

I did see that one. To be honest, Ken's constant "switch to Canon" throughout his videos is pretty annoying :D but he does give a thorough review.

The Nikon Z5 gets great reviews as well, though, so I think it comes down more to price and lens options... The Z5 is a better camera imo, but I think the RP would be plenty of camera for me, so it comes down to I think I prefer the lens options on Canon at this point.

Thanks all,
Scott

Most reactions

New Topics