Mirrorless camera for street photography

As an avid street photographer I'd say just about any camera would work for you, but its more about the "photographer" being able to be more discrete. I use either the Panasonic LX3 or Olympus XA to move about. Usually when shooting street believe it or not, a camera with less functions should force you to rely on yourself.

Trey, I took a look at your website and you have some impressive street work there. I envy you because you live in a street shooter's paradise- New Orleans. I was there in May for a short visit and fell in love with the place.

I shot an XA back in the day and I still think it is one of the greatest street cameras ever made. The Ricoh GRD cameras remind me of the XA- very discreet, small, and easy to use. You can't ask for much more than that.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thanks Rick :) Sadly New Orleans doesn't have many street photographers here to shoot with. I currently have a workshop planned for next month here to see if there's any interest at least in the universities lol.

The XA is to me one of the best and quickest film cameras for this type of photography hands down. I'm usually active on facebook in the street groups there and occasionally drop through here every know and then ;)

I do a fair amount of street photography. I use a Leica X2 and a Fuji XE-1. I considered a Leica M... But seriously, no autofocus? No thanks. I would also consider the Sony RX1. Sensor size is important for light gathering... Bigger the better. JD

I do a fair amount of street photography. I use a Leica X2 and a Fuji XE-1. I considered a Leica M... But seriously, no autofocus? No thanks. I would also consider the Sony RX1. Sensor size is important for light gathering... Bigger the better. JD

No auto focus makes it quicker to shoot if you know how to do it

No auto focus makes it quicker to shoot if you know how to do it

True!

I used my Pany G1 & Vivitar (Cosina) 24/2.8 shooting from the hip, not using the tilt screen, so the fact I was shooting @ all was not noticed. Camera set @ f5.6 & pre focused for 10' gave me from about 7' to 18' in useable focus. This is where manual lenses trump auto focus in my opinion.

1. Brand is not important
2. 35mm prime
3. just viewfinder, lcd is not important to me and i wouldn't care if it wasn't on it.
4. compactness is a major factor, it needs to be small and discrete.
5. my hands are not too big, but i'll learn to manage. Dials and buttons are pretty important, i want to be able to fiddle around with my camera. Lots of options in its software are a plus too, just like a dslr.

X100s (or older x100) is what you want.

Its permanently attached lens is 35mm equivalent (f2-f/16 and sharp). Optical viewfinder (with hybrid evf), knobs, aperture is adjusted on the lens. With the latest update, manual focus is actually useable now. It's compact for sure. I use mine more than my Leica honestly.. but part of that is because I just don't have as much time for film developing/scanning as I used to.

Here's my X100 flickr set if you're interested. I think most of my junk falls into a somewhat street-ish category... sort of anyway..
Fujifilm X100 - a set on Flickr

So true.. but then sites like these wouldn't be so popular if everyone was too busy shooting rather than talking cameras... :)

Let me state this again.

Any camera can be used....

Just because you can use it doesn't mean its the best suited for that situation. Everything has its time and place.

You can always go with this and then NO ONE would ever know you had it.

View attachment 59600

If I send you mine will you custom paint it like this? Lol.

With all this the E-M5 is on sale Black Friday. You would be hard pressed to find a mirrorless with better performance. As long as you keep the ISO down to 3200 and below you will be fine.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back