Mirrorless sales closing the gap on DSLR.

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by fmw, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Before I got the X100F, it was out of three I looked at. 1st the GRii then 2nd XF10 but in the end I went for and got the X100F then a little case that clips to my belt.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the description. Well, I'd personally like to be able to put it in a pocket, but I guess I'd need to avoid doing that. Shame. What makes this a magnet for dust? Is it the way the lens opens/closes when turned on and off, sucking in dust?

I was able to handle one for about 1 minute before the battery died at B&H. I definitely liked that it would be easy to mistake for a smartphone shooter or even a "tourist point-and-shoot".

I'd love one, but at around twice the price, I'd have to do a lot of explaining and reasoning to get it. Does it have any dust issues, or does it operate differently than the GRII so there are minimal dust issues? It might also draw more attention, which I'm not necessarily a fan of...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fujidave

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I was reading up about the GRII & GRIII not once did I see a word said about dust, if it does happen I think it would be because of the camera always going in a dusty pocket.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fujidave

Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  5. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm. Ok, so, if I treat it well, make sure it doesn't get too dusty, and blow off dust prior to turning it on/etc, it'd be ok? I really wish I would have been able to have more time to play around with the camera before the battery died. Now, I just need to figure out if I want the GRII or the GRIII, OR, if I want to save for other options...

• Like Like x 1
  6. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

It does come up but seems part of a mea culpa for rough treatment. Friends who had the problem admitted to abuse. The whole body is magnesium alloy and can take a punch. The GR cameras' weakness is the bellows-like movement of the retractable lens and some lack of sealing that allows fine-grain crud eventually to land on the sensor. There are some brave DIY GR sensor cleaning videos that involve more tear-down than I'd tackle.

I'm keeping mine in a Pelican 1020 case and carry it around my neck or over my shoulder. Will see if this actually works!

The X100 series are wonderful. No dust, either! It's bigger and heavier than the Ricoh and can't qualify as pocketable. Have the X100T and love it. Might be a few Xmas bargains on this 16mp version of the current X100F.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1