Misconceptions

I suppose you could put it like that, but it doesn't make it sound too appertising!

chipbutty.jpg

homemade Chips on buttered white bread. Make yourself one at home, i bet you'll love it :)

strange...but that actually sounds kinda good.

Well, let me think about any other misconceptions I might have ... it's just that I have been to quite many countries and if I haven't been then my sister has ... what I remember is that when I was little, I was convinced that all Chinese people were truly yellow, and I saw the first Chinese person at 13 in a Chinese restaurant in the Netherlands and was quite disappointed to see that their skin is actually not so very different from most of ours. I find that an embarrassing misconception I had all during my childhood, but what else can I say: I did believe that until then... :roll:

I've heard people brush off the weather there as, "But it's a dry heat."

Yes, like your oven.

yep, or a giant hair dryer... but i'll still take 120F/49C & dry over 100F/38C & humid anyday... and it's only bad for a few months here, the rest of the year is beautiful. And that's what A/C is for... :sun:

They say it gets cold at night, because it's a desert, but that's not true, either.

In the city, the concrete and buildings hold in the heat, but if you get out into the desert away from town you can get some huge temp swings, and it will get pretty chilly.

The only thing I can think of as a common misconception about Chicago is that people think it's still a major place for organized crime. The city government as taken over that racket. :)

The only thing I can think of as a common misconception about Chicago is that people think it's still a major place for organized crime. The city government as taken over that racket. :)

You should see the sign I snapped a pic of Sunday near the Water Tower that some guy was holding.....it was about Mayor Daley, and it's inappropriate for forum posting! (well, sort of) :lol:

Today in my bio class, we were discussing how tourists who drink the water or eat food in Mexico can get sick from the bacteria. In conversation, this tends to raise the question, "Well, why don't the locals get sick?" The usual response is that they've developed a tolerance to the bacteria, but one of the girls in my class had it all figured out. She said, "Is that why Mexicans drink so much Tequila and eat spicy foods?"

My husband seems to think that everyone around the world hates the U.S. Do you think the majority of the world hates us?

....not sure that's a good subject to get into....getting a bit political with that one (politics and religion are not allowed on the forum)

I won't get "political", but I wanted to contribute my two cents.

Being from Colombia, I've had to deal with more "misconceptions", prejudice and bad jokes than I care to remember.
Please do me (and yourself) a favor: whenever you feel tempted to make a quick judgement based on whatever second or third hand information you have of a person's country, think about the misconceptions other people may have about your own country and how they would hurt you or offend you.

And for those who are interested, you can watch this and see what Colombia is REALLY all about:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh8Xe7uxbeo[/ame]

COLOMBIA IS PASSION! :heart:

To the mods: please let me know if you feel this is inapropriate.

Today in my bio class, we were discussing how tourists who drink the water or eat food in Mexico can get sick from the bacteria. In conversation, this tends to raise the question, "Well, why don't the locals get sick?" The usual response is that they've developed a tolerance to the bacteria, but one of the girls in my class had it all figured out. She said, "Is that why Mexicans drink so much Tequila and eat spicy foods?"

I'm from Mexico :D
Let's split this: bacteria in water: yes, it can happen. I actually don't drink tap water unless I know there are water treatment installations working correctly in the place, otherwise I drink bottled water and from certain brands.

Bacteria in food. Not really, unless you have from a street vendor, who has the food sitting on the dust and sun all day.

Getting sick from spicy food: yes, Moctezuma rules (Why do you guys from the US call him Montezuma?)

Locals developing tolerance (to both bacteria and spice) yes, some more than others... but we also know what to eat and where to eat it.

Eating spicy food or drinking tequila to kill bacteria: misconception. Both mess up your stomach, making you feel even worse.

Eating spicy food and drinking tequila all the time: another misconception. Of course there are exceptions, bu we usually drink tequila in some party or at lunch in the weekends, and we don't get drunk all the time.

There are of course other miconceptions from Mexico I can talk about, but I'd like to hear what you have first. I'lll tell youif they are true or not.

I don't get out of my own state enough to really see how folks react to my venerable home of Wisconsin, but I've figured out a few stray misconceptions.

1. Cheese, Brats, and Beer. O.K. I'll be honest, I do like a good cheddar and pepper jack, but I'm not a big fan of bratwurst (too greasy) and the strongest drink I'll guzzle is a Sprecher's gingerale.

2. Ja! Hey Dere, (and other language oddities) Once more, I do say ja (the j sounds like a y) often, but I've rarely heard the whole upper peninsula accent. I guess you have to go to Escanaba Michigan to hear it.

3. The Packers. Yes, we love our team. BUT... I have to admit that I cannot follow a football game. I can stay with baseball, hockey, and soccer, but football has too many rules for my tastes.

Can you fine folks think of any others?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back