missing part of sensor coating

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
and it does seem to show up in some photos should i try to get the rest of the coating off?

think i might have hit it a little hard one too many times with the qtip and wipey

huh?

hope you didn't use a flat tip screwdriver to clean your sensor ??

120 grit sandpaper to get the gunk off, then 320 grit sandpaper to finish it.
worked great on the wifes treadle.
smooth as glass.

Have you tried pressure washing? ;)

If you've scraped off part of your sensor's coatings, just use a hammer an chisel to physically remove that part of the sensor.

BAM!.... instant crop sensor!!!!! Super for sports, wildlife, birding, surveilling neighbors.......

You can thank me later with a donation to my PayPal account.

Use crop mode.
Donate it to a family member.
Have the sensor changed.
I don't know, but scrapping off the rest of the coating falls down pretty far on my list.

think i might have hit it a little hard one too many times with the qtip and wipey
Unless you are using incompatible cleaning solvents, I suspect it would be difficult to rub off any of the sensor coatings - scratching is another matter but would look different.
If it looks like part has rubbed off are you sure it's not an area of cleaning residue??
If the solvents used aren't the highest grade there is a significant risk of trace contaminants being lefts after the solvent evaporates. Also remember even top grade solvents can get contaminated if your cleaning procedures aren't careful to minimize this.

Unless you are using incompatible cleaning solvents, I suspect it would be difficult to rub off any of the sensor coatings - scratching is another matter but would look different.
If it looks like part has rubbed off are you sure it's not an area of cleaning residue??
If the solvents used aren't the highest grade there is a significant risk of trace contaminants being lefts after the solvent evaporates. Also remember even top grade solvents can get contaminated if your cleaning procedures aren't careful to minimize this.
alcohol and i'm pretty sure its gone but i can take another look at it. Doesn't show up in all photos just some depends on light mostly in some sky pics. Been using alcohol and pad for a while and a medical q tip never had this happen before but there was a certain particle that just didn't seem to come off i think i was a little hard on the pressure.

my cleaning procedure depends almost entirely on what i ran out of, what i have available, the mood i am in, how much a hurry i am in, and for a few years how much i had been drinking at the time. This is actually the first sensor i can say i actually suspect i may have damaged however. hmmm

A picture says a thousand words - show us the results and the problem

holy hell.

What ever happened to to the sound advise of never cleaning the sensor directly?!

My thoughts, based on your verbal descriptions, and no photos of the issue:

You have probably just smeared whatever that "particle" was, around. It might have been a small grease or lubricant particle that flipped off the shutter mechanism after many, many cycles, and the accumulation into a single point was flung onto the sensor. Many cameras will fling lubricant--it's not an every single shutter actuation kinda' thing, but it can happen.

The issue might very well be the wipe you're using: you need in effect a tiny flat-bladed SQUEEGE...cleaning the glass filter array located in front of the sensor of most d-slrs is best done with a blade-type cleaning pad--something that will actually wipe-off the solution and the stuff the solution has dissolved/loosened. A Q-tip is simply the wrong shape and type of tool.

Think about it this way... a man's handkerchief balled up is a Q-tip.

A gas station squeegee is a sensor swab.

You need the right tool to do a job easily and efficiently. You used a butter knife as a Phillips screwdriver. You might have burred the screw head.

see the spot in the sky right over the roof of the playground equipment? Usually it isn't noticeable i have noticed in now in a couple sky shots which i can usually blend in post and it kind of limits me editing anything high contrast as it becomes more apparent. Basically just a darker shade of whatever in that area.

DSC_9022.JPG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back