Mission Trip

Heather Koch

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all!!

I've been on the hunt for a decent camera for my mission trip. We are heading to the Dominican Republic in about a week and a half. I don't feel comfortable bring my d7100 with me for several reasons, it's large, heavy and don't want it to get ruined.

So... I've been looking around at the mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses.

Please help! I want to be able to have high quality photos for printing but camera small enough that it won't distrupt our mission! Also, budget is up to 250 for a used camera!

Thanks so much in advance. All opinions and advice appreciated!!

Hey all!!

I've been on the hunt for a decent camera for my mission trip. We are heading to the Dominican Republic in about a week and a half. I don't feel comfortable bring my d7100 with me for several reasons, it's large, heavy and don't want it to get ruined.

So... I've been looking around at the mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses.

Please help! I want to be able to have high quality photos for printing but camera small enough that it won't distrupt our mission! Also, budget is up to 250 for a used camera!

Thanks so much in advance. All opinions and advice appreciated!!

There are some nice choices available, and although I searched for "best" choices, the prices are pretty much the whole range from high to low.

10 best mirrorless cameras in 2016

Best Mirrorless Cameras of 2016 - From Beginner to Pro

Best compact system cameras 2016: The best mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras available to buy today - Pocket-lint

Best Mirrorless Cameras of 2016 | Switchback Travel

Thank you!

Do you think I will need flash? I have never been overseas, only Mexico and Canada if you're country outside United States.

Just need some help on what to look for when I'm searching.

I found a good deal on the Olympus PEN E-PL6 and just purchased it. I hope it works out.

Though, any suggestions on cheap accessories that will come in handy? What about weather, I searched for a waterproof case and couldn't find anything for this model.

Thank you!

Do you think I will need flash? I have never been overseas, only Mexico and Canada if you're country outside United States.

Just need some help on what to look for when I'm searching.
I would just plan to use the built-in flash when needed. There are ways to modify that flash so as to make it less "harsh" looking.

I found a good deal on the Olympus PEN E-PL6 and just purchased it. I hope it works out.

Though, any suggestions on cheap accessories that will come in handy? What about weather, I searched for a waterproof case and couldn't find anything for this model.
Sounds like a good choice.

You should get one of those miniature tripods that fit in your purse/backpack/coat pocket. You can get a few inexpensive rain sleeves from flash zebra. Just keep one in your pocket in case it starts to rain when you still want to take pictures.

If you have a large-brimed rain hat that will keep light mist off your camera.

Perfect thank you so much!

If the Oly has an IR shutter trigger, then get a IR sender. They're not much money, and you can take group selfies at all the cool restaurants.

Cool, thanks I'll look into that!

Most reactions

Back