Mississippi Collage

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright another college project I'm working on. Again I would appreciate any comments and criticisms.

Note: These are NOT my photos or images, I'm just putting them together for an office on my campus.

MississippiPoster2.jpg

Oh also I'd like to as for a bit of feedback on what this does for you...how does it make you feel? It's for a mission trip, so from looking at this as a poster, what would you think the trip involved? Would it make you want to go on this trip?

It look great Amanda, good job.

As with your other collage, I like the blending between elements but I don't like that we can see through parts that are important...it lessens their impact.

For example, it looks like the shadow of the old man is under the hands in the lower left corner...we don't care about the shadow and it's really hurting the image of the hands. Also, I like the blend between the road & the aerial shot, but I think the car should be less transparent...it's distracting to see the diagonal line of land through the car.

I love the blend of the map on the right, it's great.

Thanks Mike :) Is it possible to lower the transparency of the car w/o doing it to the rest of the image? I'm sure there is, I've just never done that before. I'll bump the opacity of the hands, that should help make them more prominent...I could probably also move the pic of the old man to the right a tad to give more room for the hands pic...

This one is fantastic!! :thumbup:
The fades are seamless, and nothing important is overlapping, so there is no competition between them. The one tiny thing that I can't believe I'm eving mentioning is: I'd take a magnetic lasso and select the man's sign, layer it and put that on top, so the map and hands pictures bon't bleed onto it.

As for how it makes me feel, I can't say. It's mixed really, but I'd go on the trip :)
I find myself saddened by the man and the hands, but the rest is uplifting because it implies that something is going to be done about it. Which is a good combination for a missions trip :)
Nice work as usual!

Thanks Joe :) I'll work with the lasso tool and see what I can do! I don't have much experience w/it so it could be interesting...thanks for you thoughts on the feeling it conveys as well...that's exactly what we're shooting for with this, so REALLY appreciate the feedback :)

While I'm not really the mission trip type, I guess I can see why you went this direction. But as a native of Mississippi with kinfolk there, I find the image a bit discomfitting because it's not really representative of my home state. At least not as representative as the title "Mississippi Collage" might suggest.

The only thing in the image that says "Mississippi" to me, is the map...and that uses a lot of image space for such a small part of the message you're trying to convey. Perhaps a smaller "Welcome to the Magnolia State" sign would serve just as well and free up some space for other more communicative symbols.

I'm guessing that the mission is along the lines of Habitat for Humanity. Otherwise, I don't get the meaning of the idle hammer. Perhaps showing it being put to work would be more effective. What the hands to the lower left are doing isn't really clear to me and the river scenery is a bit muddled with the image of the street. I had to look hard to determine that there was a barge on water there.

Thanks for your honesty. I haven't been to Mississippi so I know nothing about the state, and was only provided the info for the trip...they're going to be doing service projects such as construction, working with homeless/poor families, and also youth which I didn't include here...this is meant to attract college students and really catch their eye...

I'll work on the suggestions you've made though and see what I can do :) I appreciate the feedback, it must be different seeing something like this when you know what the state has to offer :)

On a side note, I recieved an email from the guy who I'm doing these for and he says perfect, but I'm still gonna adjust some things for my version of perfection :lol:

Most reactions

Back