Mixed bag of images from yesterday...C&C and edits are allowed....

IzzieK

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I do not know where to put this one so if I am not in the right forum here, you are welcome to move it somewhere else..

Anyway, yesterday morning hubby, Tucker (our bionic dog) and I headed off to Creve Coeur Airport to see the B17, B24 and the P51 being displayed there for 3 days (it ends today). It was beautiful day to fly and I was having a wonderful day shooting when a car passed in front of me in front of one of the commercial hangars there. The owner of the hangar apologized and told me to carry on. Then another car followed it closely behind and stopped right in front of my view. I moved forward to get a better angle when the door of the second car opened and out came this old gentleman with an Air Force necktie. I thought he was having a hard time getting down and noticed that driver was not going to go down so I asked if he needed help. We ended up chatting for a while, while his cousin park the car outside the airport (only members' cars are allowed inside the airport...) Here are some of the shots I am willing to share with all of you -- if you are interested. This is the first time I had used the AF button of my camera so if they are not that good, I apologize...

$B 24.jpg

$B17.jpg
3. translated to B/W
$Nose Art B24.jpg

4. David Schaeffer is the old WWII vet I met and talked to for a good while. He piloted a B24 in his youth and then became a grocer for 3 decades after leaving the military. I shook his hands when we met and he has that warm fuzzy good grip that he cared about this airplane. I thanked him for his service to this country and told him later on that I will want to take a photo of him beside the plane.
$David Schaeffer 1.jpg

5. Small world -- I cropped a little bit of the above photo because there was a wheelchair that was showing right at the corner, not knowing that the guy at the wheelchair was in the same command as David Schaeffer above. They are both 93 years old with David becoming 93 next month in August.
$David and ...jpg

Altogether, I had a wonderful time...I know...I suck at this but C&C are allowed.

IMO, these photos document the scene but, unfortunately, that's all.
There is nothing in them that is interesting to a photo-oriented audience and the composition is unexciting.
the last two are way underexposed with lots of color noise.

Sorry

There is nothing in them that is interesting to a photo-oriented audience and the composition is unexciting.

Sorry
This afternoon my husband asked me if I want to go our hangar at Creve Coeur. I refused. I said I will just stay at home and bury my head in the sand then go have a shower, cleanse myself of any bad thoughts, go down, take care of our other two dogs while I prepare dinner for tonight.

This kind of comment as above, I love very much to get. It was my fault that I uploaded my story and my happy experience from yesterday. I thought it would be nice to share my experience with a few who might be interested and throw in a few shots that I took.

Here I have not been short of apologies because of using a method of focusing I used for the first time since I changed my menu in my camera…and said in the end that I suck at it. What else can I do? How else should I have expressed myself?

What did you do to that poor sky? Use the desaturation slider on the blue? It looks flat and like it should be blue, but isn't for some reason?

I tried to save this photo in post processing, I cant get back the sky, but maybe you can if you go back to RAW file.

The bigger issue is the focus, it doesn't look like much of anything is in focus. Anyway, here is my attempt to try and save at least something...

Original-
View attachment 80784

Edit - $80774d1406738096-mixed-bag-images-yesterday-c-c-edits-allowed-b17-2.jpg

Sorry
This afternoon my husband asked me if I want to go our hangar at Creve Coeur. I refused. I said I will just stay at home and bury my head in the sand then go have a shower, cleanse myself of any bad thoughts, go down, take care of our other two dogs while I prepare dinner for tonight.

This kind of comment as above, I love very much to get. It was my fault that I uploaded my story and my happy experience from yesterday. I thought it would be nice to share my experience with a few who might be interested and throw in a few shots that I took.

Here I have not been short of apologies because of using a method of focusing I used for the first time since I changed my menu in my camera…and said in the end that I suck at it. What else can I do? How else should I have expressed myself?
Not to worry Izzie, I loved the story and I liked the photoset as well. I'm looking at them on my cell now so can't really judge them well enough for a full tech critique but just in general I really liked what I saw. I've shot a couple of these things myself and all in all from what I see I think you did a fine job.

For me a b17 or b24 is always going to be a subject of great interest, as are the heros that flew them.

I really like this picture of old and forgotten relics of an age nobody really remembers anymore:

8j2ebB2.jpg

Last edited:
Izzie,

I'm sorry if I don't quite understand what you meant in your reply.
I wasn't trying to be mean just reacting to the pictures as I saw them.

If you look below, this is a 100% crop of the picture and the camera data as shot.

There is a tremendous amount of color noise, what I would expect to see when shot at a very high iso but the camera data shows that the iso is only 400.
From that I can only guess that this shot was very underexposed and you brightened it up and thus got lots of color noise in the shadows.
TBH, using f29 and a shutter speed of only 1/200 I don't understand.
F29 will give you a great DOF, which you really don't need, and a shutter speed of 1/200 puts a lot of pressure on you to hold steady.
Also unnecessary.
You could have shot this at f10 and 1/800 and gotten better resolution from your lens but, since it looks underexposed, my guess is shooting a f 8 and 1/400 would have given you a better exposure and much more detail and less noise in the shadows.

airplane.jpg~original

both the following Rule of Sunny 16 and the f stop scale are from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number#Standard_full-stop_f-number_scale)

Sunny 16 rule

An example of the use of f-numbers in photography is the sunny 16 rule: an approximately correct exposure will be obtained on a sunny day by using an aperture of f/16 and the shutter speed closest to the reciprocal of the ISO speed of the film; for example, using ISO 200 film, an aperture of f/16 and a shutter speed of 1/200 second. The f-number may then be adjusted downwards for situations with lower light. Selecting a lower f-number is "opening up" the lens. Selecting a higher f-number is "closing" or "stopping down" the lens.

mb6veJ.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, shooting at apertures of 29 will just kill the quality of your picture. Even the €2000 lens i use suffer from this if you close the aperture this much, you have to shoot at much wider apertures like Lew said. Here is a video that explains it to you:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Todd and Hamlet...I appreciate your comments very much...forIn the meantime, I have to prepare for my photo class for tonight so I am in a hurry.

Izzie

Oh yeah, shooting at apertures of 29 will just kill the quality of your picture. Even the €2000 lens i use suffer from this if you close the aperture this much, you have to shoot at much wider apertures like Lew said. Here is a video that explains it to you:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very :confused: by this thread

Thanks to those who commented. I am sorry I wasn't able to get back to all of you to thank you all as I was in a hurry to prepare to go to my photo class yesterday. To those who had problems with my images, I do not think I should elaborate any more what I did wrong because I had already apologized profusely for it. I think my explanation (to me) was good enough. These are heavily cropped images. My purpose is for others who have slow connections to be able to access the shots easily without having to wait for the image to wait. Also I had problems with the AF button as I had already explained in the original post and also the fact that I did not have my camera bag with me because I left it in our hangar so I had to made do with what I had and used the Exposure Triangle and monitor my highlights.

I only want to share my moments that day and pictures though crappy are better than no pictures at all. Also since that guy I met is a recent addition to the assisted living place near where we live, hubby and I decided to go there this weekend, pick him up to have lunch with us at the airport this Sunday. Every Sunday from Spring to end of Fall, the owners of the airport cook lunch for $7-$8 dollars a head and with all the old airplanes being restored there to flying condition, plus 4 commercial size hangars of the museum, I am sure he will have a good time talking to some people there that shares his interest in old airplanes and memorable ones. I guess I just have a soft spot for old vets. Talking with them about their experiences feels so much better than reading a library full of history books because they were there at the time the incidents you only read on books happened. And David has a very sharp mind for his age, very pleasant guy. He told a story of the same B24s that crashed at the time he served in the military that were left where they did. I told a friend of mine about his story. Unfortunately it rustled up a bad memory for her because her dad also flew with the B24s during the war and died in one of those crashes that David mentioned.

Ok ...time to go and go back to bed. Thank you all again for viewing my crappy images. :mrgreen:

I don't agree with Lew, I find the subject matter (& the story) interetsing, and feel a couple of the images have promice.
I like your third shot, but feel the wheel chair in the background is a distraction. If the person (another Veteran?) in it was visible it would be another matter - but as it is it would have been better to wait for it to go (if possible) or clone it out.
I also like Hamlet's crop/conversion of your last shot.

Lew is right about the images being under exposed & somewhat noisy. IMO this noise actually helps the B&W convertions slightly, possibly why I like them more than the colour shots.

Izzie You did put in your title that C&C were welcome. This tends to give coments that can be uncomfortable to hear, once you get over the disapointment you can learn from them or ignore them. I even find I can learn from comments I don't agree with.

I don't agree with Lew, I find the subject matter (& the story) interesting, and feel a couple of the images have promise.

Thank you...your comments and critiques is just the right flavour that I have been looking forward to. On another note, it is the same tone as here:

Mixed bag of images from yesterday...C&C and edits are allowed....

I guess I am or was a bit ticked off at the time because I had already explained my mistakes...and having my wounded ego rubbed with salt in the process. You know I have been spoiled by these people in the above link. And also of my own attitude of if a photo does not work for me, I refrain from commenting and just move on to the next post. I learned that not everyone is like me or not everyone is as good in commenting as in CiC.

I like your third shot, but feel the wheel chair in the background is a distraction. If the person (another Veteran?) in it was visible it would be another matter - but as it is it would have been better to wait for it to go (if possible) or clone it out.
I also like Hamlet's crop/conversion of your last shot.

There were more that I had removed from this third shot beneath the airplane's noise as it was too near to the organizers' table and they just stacked their boxes of goodies there where it was in the way so I removed it. I tried to remove the wheelchair but it wasn't very good so I let it go.

Lew is right about the images being under exposed & somewhat noisy. IMO this noise actually helps the B&W convertions slightly, possibly why I like them more than the colour shots.
I honestly think the coloured shot was more nice if not for the wheelchair and the boxes I removed but I decided to do this one in B/W as I am just a noob when it comes to monotones and B/W. Nevermind the shot, I thought...I will just let it go as this guy's wheelchair was the guy in the last shot. It formed part of my annotation. I love story telling through my shots and I admit that I suck at this so I profusely apologized for the craps, but I wanted to share my happy day that day.

Izzie You did put in your title that C&C were welcome. This tends to give comments that can be uncomfortable to hear, once you get over the disappointment you can learn from them or ignore them. I even find I can learn from comments I don't agree with.

Petrochemist...there are many ways to skin a cat. After my response, I chose to ignore the person from now on. If you have read some of the comments from the link I had provided, even if CiC is just a small group, they do not outrightly criticized, but they understood my situation at the time AND offered some suggestions for next time I came upon the same situation I was in. I love being criticized on my work, but I also explained why I did what I did right from the start. I learned a lot from the forum, albeit, more than what I learned from my photography class....and I enjoyed the kind of critique and comment like yours here, and Todd and Hamlet even edited a shot for me which I like very much. Nothing nasty...I cannot remember me giving any comment/critique in this forum where I have been very discouraging as it was, never will, will it be my way. The way to comment or to critique for me and for many others is to give a solution or a fix for future use of the original OP. I joined the laughs here like any others and it is a good forum where you can also have fun. And I am staying...

Have a very good day...a good weekend...and thanks for commenting and offering me a solution to everything that we touched here.
Izzie

Most reactions

Back