mixing and matching lenses

ajohnson15

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
flashphotography15.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking into getting a lens for my canon rebel t3. I have been told on more than one occasion and from tutorial vids on youtube that if i want to get good shots in night club, baby shower, party, etc settings i will need a lens with a 2.8 f stop. I have looked at what canon has to offer, and also looked at sigma and tamron. Sigma and Tamron are more around my price budget. I would like to know if i get a sigma or tamron lens for my canon, will they change how my pictures look vs waiting and saving for a canon f 2.8 lens?

Can you name a lens specifically?

There will be differences in rendering, however its very very hard to give a single answer to cover all the differences since many will be restricted to specific lenses. Give us an idea of what lenses you're looking at currently and we might be able to give some idea of the typical differences you'll see between them.

The quality is totally dependant on the lens, Sigma and Tamron and Tokina have some good stuff and some lame stuff, just like everyone else.

If you require a zoom, then 2.8 is recommended and the best you'll get, but that wouldn't be my choice. In low light I'd much rather prefer a 1.4 or 1.8 at a fixed focal length. Sigma makes a nice 50mm 1.4, Canon makes a nice 85mm 1.8, a very cheap 50mm 1.8, and a half decent 28mm 1.8.

So, do you need zoom? Have you considered flash as well?

my apologize i am looking for a zoom lens, similar to these.

Zoom Super Wide Angle SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro DF Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

I guess what flash to get would be another question. Even though i don't have an issue with purchasing a canon speedlite because those aren't as expensive as a lens.

Third party 2.8 lenses will typically not be sharp until F4. People will come on here and dispute that of course.
I tested them vs. my very expensive Nikon 24-70 2.8. I wanted it to be true...for me the ones I tested were not even close to as sharp wide open.
This is the reason why the very best 2.8 lenses cost so much.

With Nikon that sharpness and low light capability can be purchased much more cheaply by buying prime lenses. 35 1.8 50 1.8g 85 1.4 are all tack sharp by 2.8 and much less money.
Imagine it is the same situation with Canon.

I guess what flash to get would be another question. Even though i don't have an issue with purchasing a canon speedlite because those aren't as expensive as a lens.

the cheapest Canon flash is more expensive than the cheapest Canon lens.
However, Tamron 17-50 is a respected lens. Optically, the non stabilized version is better than the stabilized one (and cheaper). I agree that prime lenses may be an option. Do you have an idea of the focal lengths you really need? Do you have examples?

The sigma 17-50 is nice. Just as sharp as lots of primes but you pay the extra amount for that. If this is just for personal use I would say go with the tammy.

Don't get the Sigma 24-70. Its quality just doesn't stand up to the tamron 28-75.

for Basketball games you're going to need a zoom lens. night club shots, Id go with a 50mm 1.4 or the super cheap 50mm 1.8 (its like a 100 bucks)

Don't get the Sigma 24-70. Its quality just doesn't stand up to the tamron 28-75.

This is good advice. I read a review on the Sigma 24-70 and the quality was really low compared to the 17-50 they make for the same price. Tammy 28-75 is rock solid and super sharp for the price. However a wider angle would be useful for your photoshoot.

for Basketball games you're going to need a zoom lens. night club shots, Id go with a 50mm 1.4 or the super cheap 50mm 1.8 (its like a 100 bucks)

For the club a 35mm f1.4 would be better on a crop sensor. I use a 50mm f1.7 in the past when I shot club stuff and it can be tight in smaller venues. A flash is very usefull for clubs because the lighting is always poor for photography unless you want something artsy.

1.Zoom Super Wide Angle SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS Digital Cameras

YES! The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. THAT is the lens you want for clubs,events,general indoor zoom lens with affordable price and f/2.8 aperture.

Most reactions

Back