Mockingbird in the rain

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Weather was crappy and rainy and I decided to stay home. I looked out my window and saw this mockingbird that wasn't enjoying the rain. There was no light, so I decided to throw my big flash on and take a few test shots. My flash was set at -.7 EV and I tried shutter priority but ended up in manual mode. I thought the results were interesting, but it blew some highlights.. I know "bird purists" will probably not like these because the flash was harsh and it's not "natural light" Sometimes you have to improvise :) Thoughts are welcome...

Mockingbird in the Rain -1 by krisinct, on Flickr

Mockingbird in the Rain -2 by krisinct, on Flickr

Mockingbird in the Rain -3 by krisinct, on Flickr

CC, these are great, despite the few blown highlights. I like the first one best of all. Don't worry about the "purists" thoughts on flash. Some of the pros are known to use a BetterBeamer in a variety of situations and locations - I've seen a couple actually do it! Don't think of it as "not using natural light", think of it as "assisting" Mother nature. :sexywink:

WesternGuy

2nd one is very good - lots of colurs and sharp.
Doesn't the flash bring out the grey in the bird?

Nice! I like the first one the best as well. Around here, mockingbirds are as common, and as annoying, as pigeons are in many places. But they make excellent subjects for photography because they don't scare off that easily--and they are really quite handsome birds.

As for the flash, I certainly use mine when I need to. I go out sometimes just before sunrise, and I like the results I get with flash much better than bumping my ISO up high enough. "Bird purists" can object all they want, but to me, it's no different than portrait photography--if the situation warrants using something other than natural light, then you should use it. I think of the birds as "posing" for me anyway--it's just harder to get their attention and keep them still than it is with say, a two year old. :lol:

It is nice to see a great photog post photos that are are merely...meh (to me anyway), and still receive high praise. Technically sound and taken with a great lens. I think the flash blew out the breast of the bird in all three. In number 1 its tail is clipped.

The flash blew the highlight for sure in all three. I think they are ok for what I tried to do. The rain really added a different look to them for me. It's a little bummer about the tail in #1 but it is almost the full frame. I was pretty close. It's an old Sigma 500 Super, so I think it was confused with the 500mm lens :)

Most reactions

Back