Model Prices

gian133

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got some ideas for a shoot and would like to hire a model. I've been checking out ModelMayhem a bit but i have noticed something. I see that everyone wants you to give them the price. I have found a few models in the area that will do TFP but others even with no experience want pay.

I really have no clue as to what the price range should be. Obvously a more experience model gets more. More for longer distance traveled. But besides that i have no idea. Can you help me out? Give me an idea to get started?

Thank you for your help
Gian

I'm not sure what you're planning to shoot, but if you're willing to pay why don't you call up some local agencies and see what they can offer you? Maybe you can work with one of their newer models for a lower rate, or even test some of the new girls instead.

I wouldn't rely on a Model Mayhem girl for a paid shoot, unless I had worked with her before.

Well this is not a paying job (for myself). Just a way to add to my portfolio.
I have been to a few classes ($40 for a 2 hour class) that allowed me to shoot a model and use the photos for my portfolio but i would like to use my new lighting i purchased and try a shoot myself. I have gotten some practice with my setup so i figured i could bring in a model for something new (you can only take so many pictues of your sister and baby cousin :mrgreen:).
So for my budget. Basically is...low. I am a student and kinda short of cash at the moment. Really i dont even want to throw out a number cause i have no clue.

The few i saw im interested in were Beginner model with none to some expirence. I would want shots in studio and some a local outdoor locations. At least a couple hours worth. Average/estimate cost ish?

I'm not sure what you're planning to shoot, but if you're willing to pay why don't you call up some local agencies and see what they can offer you? Maybe you can work with one of their newer models for a lower rate, or even test some of the new girls instead.

I wouldn't rely on a Model Mayhem girl for a paid shoot, unless I had worked with her before.

I was typing. Maybe i'll give that a try. Thanks

Maybe this is really off, but couple of my friends are aspiring models, and one of them really does have potential. Remember, they need a portfolio too. Perhaps put a ad out in the newspaper or Craigslist?

The going rate for my area on MM for a model of low experance is 25.00 an hour.

You get what you pay for though, expect to do a lot of direction.

For top notch results go to an agent or agency were the model is trained in their trade.

Put out a casting call and offer 25 hour for two hours on MM then screen out those not fitting your vision.

BEWARE there are weirdo types on MM.

In my area, Phoenix, inexperienced models or simple shoots get $20-30 hr. If you want nude, that's $100/hr. You shouldn't have to spend more. However, you should be able to find TF* shoots on MM either by contacting inexperienced models, or posting a TF casting call. I have done that, and have had 3 shoots, with around 6 more scheduled over the next 2 weekends. Including one that loved my work so much she is coming back for a double shoot with her sister.

Why would you say that? MM is about the best resource for locating models that I've found.

I've only had one model not make a shoot, and I wasn't too broken hearted about it given it was a TFP shoot. Of the models that I've paid, I've never been stood up. It seems if you offer them a fair rate it's a pretty good incentive for them to show.

I screen the girls before the shoot. I get their contact info, talk to them voice, check out their ports, chat with other photogs they've shot with, etc. If all you do is send them an email saying "hey, let's shoot" and then expect them to show for a freebie... yeah, they probably won't show. Especially if they're some 21 year old girl with 3 pictures in their port taken with P&S cameras by their boyfriends. :)

If you want agency models, you can locate them on MM too.

But the OP can't seem to find anyone local to him on MM (which seems odd).

OP, have you opened a casting call on MM? When I open them I usually get slammed with responses, especially if you're offering payment.

Thanks for the info everyone.

inTempus. There are many models in my area. Some just down the road actually. There are specifically a few i have found i like but the ones that want pay say they want me to make the offer. I came here to see what average prices are so i dont make a terribly low offer or get ripped off by offering too much. Sorry if i wasn't very clear in my first post.

Sounds like $25 hour is about the place to start.

Thanks for all the help.
Gian

Thanks for the info everyone.

inTempus. There are many models in my area. Some just down the road actually. There are specifically a few i have found i like but the ones that want pay say they want me to make the offer. I came here to see what average prices are so i dont make a terribly low offer or get ripped off by offering too much. Sorry if i wasn't very clear in my first post.

Sounds like $25 hour is about the place to start.

Thanks for all the help.
Gian
You can do $25 an hour, that's reasonable for a model that knows what she's doing.

Let us know how it goes.

What about offering a flat rate for a session?

What about offering a flat rate for a session?
Many will do that. When I've asked for flat rates I'm usually told $100 to $150. At that price, it's better to get 3-4 hours by the hour, unless they're driving a good distance and charge you the hourly rate to make the drive. It all depends on the situation and how long you really think you're going to need them for.

Why would you say that? MM is about the best resource for locating models that I've found.

I've only had one model not make a shoot, and I wasn't too broken hearted about it given it was a TFP shoot. Of the models that I've paid, I've never been stood up. It seems if you offer them a fair rate it's a pretty good incentive for them to show.

I screen the girls before the shoot. I get their contact info, talk to them voice, check out their ports, chat with other photogs they've shot with, etc. If all you do is send them an email saying "hey, let's shoot" and then expect them to show for a freebie... yeah, they probably won't show. Especially if they're some 21 year old girl with 3 pictures in their port taken with P&S cameras by their boyfriends. :)

If you want agency models, you can locate them on MM too.

But the OP can't seem to find anyone local to him on MM (which seems odd).

OP, have you opened a casting call on MM? When I open them I usually get slammed with responses, especially if you're offering payment.

Now here we are never going to agree :lol: MM used to be a decent community with a collaborative feel to it. Over time, it became a place for wannabes to act like they knew what they were doing - you have these everywhere, but it's almost like they became the majority. Or maybe, just the ones with the louder voice. The forums went to crap, the technical issues became obnoxious, and the models seemed to become divas who expected you to bring a wardrobe stylist and a makeup artist to a TFP shoot - on YOUR dime.

No, I don't pay. I GET paid. Or, I trade. A trade means everyone is doing TFP, or at the very worst, those who want the project done can split the costs.

MM became a joke. I left several months ago. I could browse through tons of profiles, send a detailed message, and get the typical reply, "I'm interested." Some would go further, and we'd exchange e-mails, talk on the phone, set a tentative date - and as the day grew closer, they'd flake.

Total waste of time. There are gems in there, but it was no longer worthwhile to me to sort through the muck. I had paid assignments where I was offering money (of course), and still I'd get flakes and nothing accomplished. The job would go to someone I already knew in person, or someone I kinda knew from the forum for a while.

Photographers don't pay models money if it's just for TFP - they pay with prints. That's how it goes. Sites like MM have bastardized that concept, with photographers sucking up to the MySpace divas, but that's not how I would operate. Unless YOU are starting out, and need an experienced model. Or, you are shooting for stock, and need to offer monetary compensation to get that release. Or, of course, it's for a paid assignment (but then, it's not you paying the model, it's the client).

Hey, if it works for you, that's great. But I lost patience with sites like MM a long time ago. If you're not interested in my project or my work, no prob; if you don't do TFP, no prob; but don't say yes and then flake out.

Also, I live in South Florida. MM may be one of the best ways to find a model for some because they don't live in or near a big city. If I want to find a beautiful girl with little to no modeling experience, I just have to walk around any downtown area and hand out cards ;)

Go with what works for you. I've just had way too many irritating experiences on that site. Granted, I did find some wonderful models on there as well at first, but not in the last year that I was shooting this stuff.

I guess it depends on your market. I live near Chicago and many of my girls come from the city or near the city. I've also worked with some girls a little closer to home (Indiana).

I've found the forums to be pretty typical of just about any forum on the 'net. They have pretty heavy moderation, especially when compared to a site like this where moderation is pretty light. That of course is in their industry forums. If you venture into the Soapbox it's pretty much no holes barred. :)

I can't imagine handing out business cards to strangers on the street netting you more reliable models... But then I've never tried it for fear of being viewed as a creep. :)

MM might not be ideal in that everyone on there is an agency represented model and the photographers run the gamut from GWC to world famous photographers. I don't know what else you would expect from a extremely popular photographer/model networking site. I've tried other models sites and they're either dead, poorly laid out, or both.

Sure, you have to work at finding a model. You have to contact them, call them, screen them, talk to some referrals... kind of like running a business and interviewing prospective employees. I don't think you'll ever find a site out there that takes the work out of work... but if you do, please post the URL! :)

But things may be much different in south Florida. That's probably more a reflection on the area vs. Model Mayhem. I chat with many photogs nationally and internationally on MM and few of them complain about the reliability of models... but then they've spent quite a bit of time learning how to screen them effectively... something I'm starting to master myself.

If you're just starting out in photography and are looking to work with models for the first time, MM is probably the best place in the country to find them. If there's a site I'm missing, let me know because I would like to check it out!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back