Model Release Form

Dreamergirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just starting out and want to take some shots of some of some aquaintences from back home and prospective clients (my neighbors, co-workers, realtor, etc.) I would like to use those photos for my portfolio and, hopefully, my own website someday. How do I word a model release form? Does anyone have a form I could go by or look at? Or, what needs to be mentioned in a model release form?

I may be wrong here, but I thought if you took the picture the print was yours to use?

I would be interested in what is needed for this as well......

NYIP - Model Release Form - A Basic Model Release Form for Use in Photography Sessions and Photo Shoots

That's as basic as you get. Calumet (calumetphoto.com) has purchasable pre-printed cards.

I may be wrong here, but I thought if you took the picture the print was yours to use?

I would be interested in what is needed for this as well......

Depending on where you live and what you intend to do with the photos determines what types of permissions you need.

I can't find it right now but this topic came up here a few weeks ago and someone posted a link to a very large article about the legal stuff surrounding a photography business. Perhaps someone can find the link because I can't at the moment.

I do know that in the US if you use someone's image for advertising that you require a release and if they appear to be endorsing a product directly, that release is even more essential. I've always been fuzzy on whether portraits and the ilk need a release if they're in your portfolio (and whether a portfolio constitutes 'advertising'). I'm still searching for the answer to that.

For purely a portfolio a MRF isn't needed. BUT should be done because what's in your portfolio may become usefull in the future.

One lecturer told of a student who did a project. The project was about Immigrants and after leaving she was trying to get some work related to that. The people she contacted liked her work and wanted to use it but because she didn't have MRF's ( and couldn't get them due to the nature of the Immigrants ) so she was unable to sell a very very good piece of work.

ALLWAYS get a MRF even if you don't think you'll sell it. It cover's your rear and means if you do want to sell in the future you can.

(I'm in the UK so above is relevant to the UK, not sure about elsewhere)

Most reactions

Back