model release question

rdodson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photoservancy.com
I have been doing nature photography almost exclusively and am now branching out into other areas.

I have a question concerning the use of images that contain people. If images contain people that one can identify, does the photographer need a model release? I know one can some times get around the release if the image is at a public event, but what if it's just a random public place?

Thanks any input will be appreciated!

If it is a random public place (the key word is 'public') then you do not need their permission UNLESS you single them out (Hey look, I caught this guy picking his nose...). The legal reasoning is that you did not ask them to be in the picture and at public gatherings people always take pictures: if you don't want to be in one don't go to public places.

Wow, I read the threads. It seems most everybody has a different idea of the legality of the issue.

No wonder I like nature photography more... I've yet to have a rattlesnake say "hey buddy, if you're gonnna use that you gonna need to cut me a check"

Thanks for the input!

It seems most everybody has a different idea of the legality of the issue.
It may be best for you to pop into your town hall and ask some questions. They may be able to help you. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back