Model releases for a work-calendar

skywalkerbeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone

I am tasked to set up a photo contest at work, and the winners will be in our 2010 calendar (yes, we are starting early).

I am hung up on the model release. Initially we were just going to say "no people in photos" to get past that, but then you leave out a lot of creativity.

I am also thinking that if we demand model releases, it will be confusing. For instance, when is it ALWAYS required - what if it is street photography? What if it is a bike race, or a dance party in Rio on New Years... how can you get model releases then?

Is there a resource, either online or a well-written book on the business of photography, that would explain when you MUST have a model release and when not, and, any samples of same?

This calendar would NOT BE FOR SALE - it would be internal to our employees only and given free once printed to each one.

If you have knowledge of the above yourself, that would be great too.

Thank you!

There is a book published earlier this year that is specific to model releases. Available at [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photographers-Guide-Model-Releases/dp/0470228563/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221104382&sr=8-1[/ame]

The author of that book also wrote this online article: http://www.danheller.com/model-release-primer.html

What you might do is make up a generic release that will fit YOUR calendar and require it for submittals.

ND filters, too? You're getting addicted, Beth! ;)

Dan Heller wrote one of the books I was considering to buy for this (and I figured it would help out later too).

Dan Heller wrote one of the books I was considering to buy for this (and I figured it would help out later too).

It's a good book. I need to get it but haven't picked it up yet. I read through some of it in the bookstore. Easy to read and he covers a variety of scenarios.

Most reactions

Back