Model Session - TOTALLY Safe for Work, for a change...

I

Iron Flatline

Change of pace!

I am working on a photographic short story about a Turkish girl in Berlin... we have over half a million Turks in Berlin who are subsequently a large part of the community, so no matter where you look there are women with long coats and head-scarves.

The desaturation and white balance is on purpose, but I'm not convinced it works. **EDIT - I replaced three of the ones I thought were weak with re-processed versions.

More on Flickr, as usual.

4385913582_c82675abd2_o.jpg

2. (new edit)
4387381234_deda2ffd19_o.jpg

4385919182_a3b5fe0d67_o.jpg

4. (Replaced by new edit)
4386618753_cb35047f91_o.jpg

...and then things got a little more vampy :mrgreen:

5. (new edit)
4387381130_bf7c9073ee_o.jpg

4385911478_2435546ce6_o.jpg

4385911704_770dcbbeb1_o.jpg

4385146295_1fccc30b1a_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love them all except for #1 and # 8

I get what you wanted to do in # 1, but it does not have the emotion or flow the others have.

Number 8 just seems odd to me, makes me think of someone waiting to be exicuted. #7 is a very strong shot.

Frames 2 and 6 are my favorites. I like the idea of #2 quite a bit. Those repeating concrete forms in the last sequence are nice things to work with. I also enjoyed the repetition in frame 8, but wish the model were more 'neutral'; her crouching pose somewhat distracts, to me at least, from a very interesting man-made vs natural composition, filled with the lovely snow pattern and the vanishing point all done in snow and concrete. (Perhaps that is painted metal and not concrete, but I really do like the fact that the scene has a strong man-made aspect paired with the pure snow.)

I like # 8 the best. I really like how the shadows of the stones create a ladder effect from bottom to top. Her pose reminds me of someone under arrest and handcuffed waiting for their car to be searched and that seems ironic given the location, the fact she appears to be alone and she is dressed so conservatively.
Very nicely done.

The subways series were interesting but the wb distracted me even though I knew you did it on purpose. It seemed to work better in #1 than it did in the rest.
I do think all of them as a series are powerful though.

Thanks all. Yeah, the kneeling image is unusual, I wanted to get some reaction. Keith, there is a subtle variation on Flickr.

Derrel, thanks for the comment. Please also take a look at the Flickr stream, there's a few variations. I didn't want to nuke another thread with too many images. It is concrete - without being political, it is the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin... and taking pictures of a woman in full Islamic regalia got the guards nervous, but they were ultimately quite nice. It is all concrete pillars, rising fifteen feet high at slightly off-angles... it's pretty disorienting to be inside, which is the point of it.

An image of the Holocaust Memorial I took three years ago:
1179556151.jpg

An image I took a couple of years ago of a Turkish woman waiting for a train...

1184245872.jpg

7 is a keeper for sure. Excellent shot.:thumbup:

7 is definitely my favorite. . .just evokes a mood with good lighting and touch. . .

I really like 6 & 7.

The ones in the subway station look a little soft and the light isn't doing anything nice for her skin tones. She looks much better outdoors.

All of them are strong, but number 2 and 4 are wow for me.

Good work

Thanks.

I just got off the plane (Berlin - Amsterdam) and had an hour to reprocess. I replaced three of them in the original post - 2,4, and 5.

2 is my fav right now, too.

#2 is crackin! Love that shot and the flare especially. Nicely done.

Thanks Jackie. I need to re-process that shot. I like it too, it's my favorite, but I need to get more fabric detail back into the coat. There is no detail left in the black folds. It will require slightly more complex processing.

ya, i see what you mean by the black... well worth the time if you've got it to invest though, its my favorite out of the bunch. Have you used this model before? I think I've seen her in some of your shots

Most reactions

Back