Model Slams Magazine for Photoshopping Her Body

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Model Slams Magazine for Photoshopping Her Body, Posts Unretouched Shot

Anyone else getting tired of this? It's not up to the model how she is retouched in someone else's/companies/re-touchers vision. You're there to model and that's it. Seems like people are doing this for their 15 minutes in the spot light.

Having said that, it was very poorly photoshopped :biglaugh:

I understand what you are saying-- that this type of "outrage" seems to fill the media lately. But I agree with the model. She has a brand to uphold as well and the magazine is using her brand to sell copy. I mean, think of the classic super model type... say Cindy Crawford (classic right?) Well what if someone photoshopped out her beauty mark. That is a very particular part of her and her look. Her look is her brand... its what got her thousands of modeling jobs in the 90's. Photo retouching is part of the business, but when you go manipulating someone's body or face to the point that it no longer resembles any part of reality.... I dunno, I just think there is a fine line to walk with retouching.

And I have to say that what I'm particularly tired of is 1. Bad photoshop jobs... like the kind that just look terrible, and 2. the unrealistic photoshop jobs that make the perfect body an entirely unrealistic and unattainable goal for young women.

I think there are a few things here that are getting missed in the "how dare she" campaign. Wyogirl pointed out one, which is that Zendaya has a "brand". She's not an anonymous runway model. She's a celebrity actress brought up through the Disney machine. People know her, and they know what she is supposed to look like. Disney tends to push normal but good looking people in their teen sitcoms. Obese but lovable. Curvy and cute. etc. Turning Zendaya into a fake baked anorexic runs counter to that ethos. It would be like someone removing Nicki Minajs butt in Ps or slimming Angelina Jolie's lips.

is there anything that girl doesn't complain about?

It would be like someone removing Nicki Minajs butt in Ps or slimming Angelina Jolie's lips.

so, like, a natural human body?

I saw the Zendaya thing, and I think one of the biggest influencing decisions might very well have been THIS MONTH'S new Demi Lovato shoot, touted web-wide and world-wide as , "Demi Lovato, no makeup, no Photoshop." That promotional photoshoot garnered the kind of publicity that is simply impossible to buy, no matter how big a promotional budget an actress/singer/celebrity/model has at his or her disposal. Within fifteen days of the Demi Lovato no makeup, no Photoshop shoot's world-wide buzz on the 'net, Demi Lovato was the musical guest on NBC's Saturday Night Live...one of **the** absolute most-difficult musical gigs to get a crack at.

Hey...Zendaya is part of the same cohort as Bella Thorne, Victoria Justice, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus,Demi Lovato, Justin Bieber. This is a hugely media-driven group...getting free publicity on hundreds and hundreds of web sites by doing something as simple as what Zendaya did again, creates "buzz" that one simply can NOT buy or get any other way. I look at this as a planned career move, probably inspired by her PR firm.

I don't care if she outed them for the buzz or because she thought she looked bad in the photo. As the mother of an almost 13 year old who is a fan of Zendaya, I'm sick of it. I do not want my daughter to see nothing but unrealistic, photoshopped bodies in the media. It's bad enough for girls' body image that they are bombarded with anorexic looking models when it comes to fashion models but to see that ridiculous edited image of someone who has a beautiful body already is ridiculous.

I saw the Zendaya thing, and I think one of the biggest influencing decisions might very well have been THIS MONTH'S new Demi Lovato shoot, touted web-wide and world-wide as , "Demi Lovato, no makeup, no Photoshop." That promotional photoshoot garnered the kind of publicity that is simply impossible to buy, no matter how big a promotional budget an actress/singer/celebrity/model has at his or her disposal. Within fifteen days of the Demi Lovato no makeup, no Photoshop shoot's world-wide buzz on the 'net, Demi Lovato was the musical guest on NBC's Saturday Night Live...one of **the** absolute most-difficult musical gigs to get a crack at.

Hey...Zendaya is part of the same cohort as Bella Thorne, Victoria Justice, Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus,Demi Lovato, Justin Bieber. This is a hugely media-driven group...getting free publicity on hundreds and hundreds of web sites by doing something as simple as what Zendaya did again, creates "buzz" that one simply can NOT buy or get any other way. I look at this as a planned career move, probably inspired by her PR firm.
Yep. And Zendaya, Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus, and Bella Thorne are all Disney alums. They are riding the current cultural zeitgeist of "be proud of your body", something that Disney is quite wary of with their casting choices as well. I see this as being perfectly within character, and likely keeping with the interests of their fanbase, which is young women. I don't see this as being much different than a Dove commercial from a message standpoint. It just has the added dimension of her celebrity, which means her figure and complexion are already world famous, so altering her frame and skin type is a bit of a double wammy.

Exactly...this is a publicity-seeking move, perfectly in line with the be proud of your body thing that's being pushed right now. This whole "outing" of magazines that do extensive manipulation of well known celebrity figures has one advantage over advertising: advertising campaigns run for a finite time, and then basically, disappear! THings that have gone viral on the web have a much,much longer shelf life and are very easy to keep alive for long time frames.

These types of incidents are searchable under "Photoshop fails", "Photoshop disaster", and so on. These incidents tend to be aggregated and posted on HUGE web sites, which reach tens of millions of targeted consumers. Again--this is the type of publicity that simply CAN NOT BE BOUGHT, ever! To a person who makes a living from celebrity/fame/the web/the media, this type of an incident brings with it a huge stamp of legitimacy, of being somebody, and so on.

I'm not saying that this idea of being proud of one's own body is a bad message, because I think it is a very good message; but what we are dealing with here has huge publicity implications for a star that is not quite in the same league as the other Disney/Nickelodion celebrities; multiple other celebs have done the same thing with retouched images of themselves that were splashed across the covers of national magazines that cater to their target audience.

Unless the photoshop "fail" was done on purpose and at the direction of the model herself.

Ummm, read the contract before you sign it? No way in hell she did a shoot for a product or magazine without a model release form. She doesn't own the image, they do.

Regardless of what she thought, They'll manipulate the image how they see fit.

So would I for that matter.

Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean it's a "good" thing. Yeah, the magazine probably had the right to manipulate the images, but that doesn't mean the model is required to stay quiet about the butchering of her physiology.

People do something and then criticism and pull the "IT'S A FREE COUNTRY" card like that absolves them of any responsibility for the criticism they're receiving.

If you look at the photo, her hips are warped to the point of being impossible in terms of human proportions. It's frivolous and unnecessary use of Photoshop.

I would be pissed too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back