Models in the making C&C welcome

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a fun photo shoot today with 2 girls who were excellent little models. I don't own studio space so we converted the living room into a studio. Gray backdrop cloth hanging, 2 SB-600's on wireless triggers behind brollies for the strobes. 19-105mm Nikkor for the lens. It was my first time doing a studio setting shoot outside of Sears, so it was interesting!

DSC_0310_1.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0277.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^^^^ She looks like she just came in from a day in the sun.

Either that or she is related to the steamed lobster family :)

Definitely need to touch up the glares of the 2 lights you are using on #4 and #5. I think it will look better if there is only one glare.

Then just reduce the red color level!

Hi,

In your case, I would leave the original skin.. Portraiture simply spoils the skin texture. I do not recommend to use it, though in some cases it works (depends on skin tone, lighting etc.)

The mostly of all no. 4 looks like the statue of wax.
Also the lighting seems to be too straightforward.

Thats just MY opinion. Keep it going ;)

sorry of my English

In addition to those points noted above, you need much greater separation between your subject and the backdrop.

In addition to those points noted above, you need much greater separation between your subject and the backdrop.

Oh how I wish I had the room for it. We were in a 10x10 room with furniture that couldn't be moved more than it was. Difficult set up to say the least!

Thanks for the advice guys!

Iyou need much greater separation between your subject and the backdrop.

Yes! This separation can be achieved with lighting too, not just more distance. Your lighting is very flat (not much variation between shadows & highlights). A bit more contrast in the lighting on your subject, and possible a hair light coming from above & behind and your subject will "pop" off the background better.

Your lighting is very flat (not much variation between shadows & highlights). A bit more contrast in the lighting on your subject, ...

Yeah... we call that "ratio." It seems OK in the first view, but not so much in the rest.

I feel the larger issue is the quality of the light. What am I seeing... an umbrella and reflector? Your main (the umbrella) is positioned too low and, perhaps more importantly, too far from your subject. When you have it this far away, the lighting becomes more directional, loosing the softness created by the umbrella.

-Pete

Your lighting is very flat (not much variation between shadows & highlights). A bit more contrast in the lighting on your subject, ...

Yeah... we call that "ratio." It seems OK in the first view, but not so much in the rest.

I feel the larger issue is the quality of the light. What am I seeing... an umbrella and reflector? Your main (the umbrella) is positioned too low and, perhaps more importantly, too far from your subject. When you have it this far away, the lighting becomes more directional, loosing the softness created by the umbrella.

-Pete

I will have to try putting them closer next time. I had two SB-600's in Brolly's set up at 45 degree angles on either side of them. Should one be straight off to the side while the other is at a 45 degree angle to get some more dynamic lighting? We tried a hair light but the SB-50DX that I had wouldn't stay clamped to the curtain rod the backdrop was hanging from. Thanks for the input guys!

The conditions here were apparently not favourable to achieving good results. You may want to try again where you can have more room..

I had two SB-600's in Brolly's set up at 45 degree angles on either side of them. Should one be straight off to the side while the other is at a 45 degree angle to get some more dynamic lighting?

Before going for drama, start with the basics. Position one (the fill light) behind the camera so that it's nearly shadowless. Then place the other (the main light) off to one side and up a bit. Keep it in close. Adjust the power on the lights so that the light from the main is about twice that of the fill.

In other words, if the fill is providing f 5.6 at the subject, adjust the main to provide f 8 at the subject. That will give you a 3:1 ratio.

I hope I explained that clearly.

-Pete

I just had a room open up in my apartment that is 20-24 ft so it is going to become my photo studio! Definitely more room in there. :D Thanks for the help with the lighting, I will have to work that once I get the set up running.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back