Mold

Donde

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wonder at what point mold inside the lens begins to affect image quality.

You might start to notice a decrease in contrast as the mold becomes more pronounced. The light will be diffused as it strikes the mold, which kills contrast.

Thank you Designer, good info.

Thank you Designer, good info.
You're welcome. BTW: don't let the mold continue to grow. I've read that you can kill the mold with UV light. Sunlight might do it, but don't let the lens get warm. Maybe a UV lamp would be safer.

I store my lenses in a plastic box with lid and I toss in those silica gel packets that come with new merchandise. Silica gel is supposed to absorb moisture, and I hate to simply throw those packets out.

(edit- Unsubstantiated claims deleted.)

Last edited:
I 've heard you cab stop it growing with sunlight but not make what's there go away. I've also heard (maybe from you a while back) that Canon won't clean a moldy lens because they can't guarantee the work. I'm going to look into a large container that I can fit camera and lens into with silica gel.

I 've heard you cab stop it growing with sunlight but not make what's there go away. I've also heard (maybe from you a while back) that Canon won't clean a moldy lens because they can't guarantee the work. I'm going to look into a large container that I can fit camera and lens into with silica gel.
It wasn't me, but if anything, I would caution against any DYI lens repair.

Thanks. No I wasn't going to attempt it. The lens in question is a Canon 400 5,6

Could you not put them in a suitcase? Just buy twice the quantity of silica gel that you need and regularly dry the half that is not in the suitcase in the oven and then change it?
I would put all your camera stuff there as I guess this could affect them all with the humid climate you have.

Thanks Dave that is a good idea. I'm going to buy a quart of silica beads when I visit the states.

Thanks Dave that is a good idea. I'm going to buy a quart of silica beads when I visit the states.
Can't you buy them in Colombia? I know it can be complicated there but it should be possible.

Should be but I wouldn't know where to start. Easy to find on US Amazon though.

I have a Canon 500mm Mirror lens that got mold inside the front element back in the middle 1980's. I let it get a little sun and the mold died (it stopped growing) and it's been the same ever since. The mold has had absolutely no effect on the pictures that I've taken with it. It's been stored in a camera bag with all of my other lenses and they have not been effected by it.

I have a Canon 500mm Mirror lens that got mold inside the front element back in the middle 1980's. I let it get a little sun and the mold died (it stopped growing) and it's been the same ever since. The mold has had absolutely no effect on the pictures that I've taken with it. It's been stored in a camera bag with all of my other lenses and they have not been effected by it.
How does such an old lens compare to the modern ones? Does it work with DSLR?

Older Canon FD mount lenses can be used on modern DSLRs with a lens mount adapter.

How does such an old lens compare to the modern ones? Does it work with DSLR?

It can but you have to have an adapter and the results aren't what you would hope for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back