Monday will be 4 Weeks!

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is the backyard of the house next door to mine.

lawnmower.jpg

So there's a story: Back just before the last recession when the housing market was out of control a contractor bought the house. He sent letters to myself and my neighbor wanting to buy us out. He was hoping to get the whole end of the block and condo it. But before we could tell him to bleep bleep, his $126,000 investment turned to pig sh*t overnight. Since then he's been renting it. The last tenants (Hillary & Donald -- I swear Hillary lived there with her pit bull Donald) moved to Phoenix recently and the contractor decided to do a remodel and sell it.

The house sold 6-25-18 and that day he had the lawn mowed apparently for the last time. The new owners are coming from out-of-state. Guess I'll be lending them my weed whacker and lawn mower when they get here.

Joe

Amazing greenery around your house.

A little Glyphosate will take care of that. :encouragement:

Very welcome habitat for the local wildlife.....:)

The contractor sold and moved on. He’s under no obligation and has no incentive to keep up the property. The neighborly thing to do would be to give it a good mow before the new owners arrive. I would rather put in an hour of mowing than look at that for a month.

The contractor sold and moved on. He’s under no obligation and has no incentive to keep up the property. The neighborly thing to do would be to give it a good mow before the new owners arrive. I would rather put in an hour of mowing than look at that for a month.
A machete would be more useful than a weed whacker. Looks more like a harvesting job than a mow job. I'd whack it periodically, a bit at a time, finish over a week then mow (if you can get back there.) Less effort to just get some stepping stones and make a jungle trail. Show the neighbors the before pictures and hopefully they will be appreciative.

On the flip side, maybe the new neighbors want it a la natural ...

this happened to a friend of mine with her first house. The home next-door was a rental property and they never did any yard maintenance. they ended up with a completely unusable backyard with 10 to 20 foot high skinny trees covering the entire back ‘“lawn” and choking off the back porch. Consequently, my friend’s yard was always full of bugs and it was such an eyesore. It was terrible situation for her and likely cost her quite a bit of resale value when she sold the house. Because it was the backyard and not the front, complaints to the city were useless. She repeatedly said that she wished she had just gone over there and cut it herself when it first got out of hand.

this happened to a friend of mine with her first house. The home next-door was a rental property and they never did any yard maintenance. they ended up with a completely unusable backyard with 10 to 20 foot high skinny trees covering the entire back ‘“lawn” and choking off the back porch. Consequently, my friend’s yard was always full of bugs and it was such an eyesore. It was terrible situation for her and likely cost her quite a bit of resale value when she sold the house. Because it was the backyard and not the front, complaints to the city were useless. She repeatedly said that she wished she had just gone over there and cut it herself when it first got out of hand.

I’ve never rented; is it the tenant’s responsibility to tend to the yard?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

15 minutes with a decent weed whacker...

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I don’t know. I would think it would be whatever is in the lease but most likely the owners responsibility not the tenant. Probably the fault was with having an absentee owner.

Yes, that is the usual arrangement. Also snow removal, keep trash picked up, notify owner of any maintenance issues, obey local ordnances,

Most reactions

Back