money in photography?

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just started charging for my photos - I also do all of the printing, sizing, and cutting.

I also recently put out an email to all of the customers in the barn about doing a photo shoot with their horse. The shoot itself I'm charging $50.00 but with that, they get all of their proofs and then they have to pay for whatever they want from the proofs.

I'm also shooting more local horse shows, putting the proofs up on a hosting site and taking orders that way too.

Good Luck!

OP
H

Hock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for all the info. Ill try to get something going

Ecas32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I already learned with stock photography that you have to have really good pictures. And I mean really good. I've put up three photos but they denied all of them. Try putting them on Deviant Art. That's what I did but nobody bought any yet :/

that deviant art is cool! i just uploaded six of my favorite photos and i already have a watcher and 2 people adding the photos to their favourites all within like 10 or 15 minutes!
people actualy see your stuff on this site

Jaszek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
michalphoto.tk
Photos OK to edit
had the same thing but after like an hour you photos go off the recently added page and only the people who want to look for it find it. That's what I had with the first 10 minutes.

Ecas32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Oh ok. Way to crash my hopes and dreams.... Naw jk :p. Makes sense

stumpjumper21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
what would you go about taking pics of for stock photography? anything? or is there something that many people look for? what do you yourselfs shoot?

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
had the same thing but after like an hour you photos go off the recently added page and only the people who want to look for it find it. That's what I had with the first 10 minutes.

I think deviantART sucks in that aspect. There are a lot of good photos on there that I have found after flipping through countless pages. Suprisingly they never have more than 1,500 views...it's really sad, no one can seem to find your stuff.

jstuedle

Reaction score
Website
www.picture-daddy.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Those who make good money are great marketeers. Most successful shooters are masters of marketing and average or better shooters. It's all in the shtick.

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Those who make good money are great marketeers. Most successful shooters are masters of marketing and average or better shooters. It's all in the shtick.

I second that!

Jaszek

Reaction score
Website
michalphoto.tk
Photos OK to edit
I think deviantART sucks in that aspect. There are a lot of good photos on there that I have found after flipping through countless pages. Suprisingly they never have more than 1,500 views...it's really sad, no one can seem to find your stuff.
But lets say someone wants to see your photos and buy something you send them your link and they buy it off of DA

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I personally use smugmug for that, but I see your point.

stumpjumper21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
but what do most ofyou shoot for stock photography?

tsaraleksi

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Stock photos that sell are images of things that people need images of, that are hard to get. Think about the kind of images that illustrate any kind of advertising or even some news stories. That's what sells. Look at sites like gettyimages.com and browse through their stock pages.

gsgary

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.gsgary.smugmug.com
Photos OK to edit
but what do most ofyou shoot for stock photography?

Nobody is going to tell you that, stock photography is an art and all about key wording, If you want them on Alamy they have to be perfect they check them at 100% so top notch lenses are needed

Most reactions

ClickASnap