money in photography?

I just started charging for my photos - I also do all of the printing, sizing, and cutting.

I also recently put out an email to all of the customers in the barn about doing a photo shoot with their horse. The shoot itself I'm charging $50.00 but with that, they get all of their proofs and then they have to pay for whatever they want from the proofs.

I'm also shooting more local horse shows, putting the proofs up on a hosting site and taking orders that way too.

Good Luck!

Thanks for all the info. Ill try to get something going

I already learned with stock photography that you have to have really good pictures. And I mean really good. I've put up three photos but they denied all of them. Try putting them on Deviant Art. That's what I did but nobody bought any yet :/

that deviant art is cool! i just uploaded six of my favorite photos and i already have a watcher and 2 people adding the photos to their favourites all within like 10 or 15 minutes!
people actualy see your stuff on this site

had the same thing but after like an hour you photos go off the recently added page and only the people who want to look for it find it. That's what I had with the first 10 minutes.

Oh ok. Way to crash my hopes and dreams.... Naw jk :p. Makes sense

what would you go about taking pics of for stock photography? anything? or is there something that many people look for? what do you yourselfs shoot?

had the same thing but after like an hour you photos go off the recently added page and only the people who want to look for it find it. That's what I had with the first 10 minutes.

I think deviantART sucks in that aspect. There are a lot of good photos on there that I have found after flipping through countless pages. Suprisingly they never have more than 1,500 views...it's really sad, no one can seem to find your stuff.

Those who make good money are great marketeers. Most successful shooters are masters of marketing and average or better shooters. It's all in the shtick.

Those who make good money are great marketeers. Most successful shooters are masters of marketing and average or better shooters. It's all in the shtick.

I second that!

I think deviantART sucks in that aspect. There are a lot of good photos on there that I have found after flipping through countless pages. Suprisingly they never have more than 1,500 views...it's really sad, no one can seem to find your stuff.
But lets say someone wants to see your photos and buy something you send them your link and they buy it off of DA

Well I personally use smugmug for that, but I see your point.

but what do most ofyou shoot for stock photography?

Stock photos that sell are images of things that people need images of, that are hard to get. Think about the kind of images that illustrate any kind of advertising or even some news stories. That's what sells. Look at sites like gettyimages.com and browse through their stock pages.

but what do most ofyou shoot for stock photography?

Nobody is going to tell you that, stock photography is an art and all about key wording, If you want them on Alamy they have to be perfect they check them at 100% so top notch lenses are needed

Most reactions

New Topics

Back