Money Loser? What Gives?

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got an e-mail from AmazonLocal, and one of the deals in it was for a local photographer. This is the text of the Amazon ad the photographer is running. I've redacted the photographer's name, website, etc:

Photos By XXXXXXXX
Sold by Photos By XXXXXXXX

The Details

You're constantly snapping pictures with your phone or your camera, but are your shots truly amazing? Call in a professional with this deal from XXXXXXXXX and get wall-worthy shots when you pay $75 (usually $450) for a two-hour on-location photo shoot with 25 edited photos on a CD, or pay $45 (usually $200) for an hour-long on-location photo shoot with 20 edited images on CD.

For years XXXXXXXX has been traveling the San Diego area to help clients capture memories that will last a lifetime. She specializes in a natural, candid, unpretentious style that freezes her subjects in genuine moments and imbues her photos with a life of their own. Plus, you get her expert editing prowess, too. When the photo shoot is over, she'll masterfully apply subtle electronic touches to your shots to help them truly pop. Grasp a moment in time with this great deal.

What You Need to Know

• Limit 10 vouchers per customer
• Limit 1 per customer per session
• Appointments are required and subject to availability
• Merchant cancellation/re-scheduling policy of 24 hours applies; voucher subject to forfeiture
• All services must be redeemed during a single visit and used by same customer
• Valid for 5 people per session
• Valid only for option purchased
• Distance restrictions apply. Service area includes San Diego County up to Temecula and as far south as El Centro; call merchant for details
• Available for use beginning on June 25, 2012
• The amount paid for the voucher does not expire. The remaining promotional value of the voucher above what you paid for it will expire on December 25, 2012

There are always debates about pricing, and about how low-priced photographers actually hurt the industry (something I don't necessarily agree with). However, in this case, it's pretty clearly hurting her business.

For those not familiar with San Diego or southern California, the city of Temecula is about 60 miles north of downtown San Diego. The city of El Centro is about 110 miles east of downtown San Diego. If someone in El Centro books her for a one hour shoot, she's getting paid a whopping $45.00. She's in the red before she even gets home, just considering the price of gasoline.

Why would someone do that?

I can understand wanting to offer a lower price than the competition, but this is ridiculous. I charge $75.00 an hour (with a two hour minimum), and even that's too low (and will be amended soon). $45.00 for a one hour shoot that's over 100 miles away?

Don't get me wrong, this type of thing doesn't concern me. My clients aren't surfing through Amazon to find a photographer. I'm just stunned that there are people out there who are able to believe this is a good idea.

Whaddya' think?

My business manager said things like Amazon deals or groupon do not work for photographers unless you are a multi million dollar company like The Picture People. We have run the numbers and frankly, anyone who thinks it is a good idea is an idiot.

My business manager said things like Amazon deals or groupon do not work for photographers unless you are a multi million dollar company like The Picture People. We have run the numbers and frankly, anyone who thinks it is a good idea is an idiot.

The person offering this is most definitely not a multi-million dollar company...

I think this is an instance of one of the new breed of instant professional photographers getting a taste of reality. Not knowing who the photographer is (and I understand your reluctance to show the name) I obviously have no idea of their capabilities, but just given the text of the offer leads me to that conclusion.

The photography industustry has been glutted with 30-day wonders and until something is done to regulate who can claim to be a professional it will continue. There are no requirements for professional photographers other than being able to pay for a business license and hang up a shingle. The cream will float to the top and the others will sink, and in my opinion this is one of the "Others".

See this all the time! Typically a typical MWAC / Facebook / Craigslist photographer that has no idea about CODB, probably delivers total crap, uses all entry level gear. Probably thought Groupon was a great idea too. They won't last long.

cgipson1 said:
See this all the time! Typically a typical MWAC / Facebook / Craigslist photographer that has no idea about CODB, probably delivers total crap, uses all entry level gear. Probably thought Groupon was a great idea too. They won't last long.

Lol Charlie I bet you are getting the brain vein.

I redacted the name in the ad because I know the person.

The person's not a bad photographer; pretty good, in fact. I'm just stunned at the approach. The photographer in question could easily, and I believe has, earned far more money than what's listed in the Amazon ad...

cgipson1 said:

Lol Charlie I bet you are getting the brain vein.

Nope.. not at all! :) I don't have to worry about it.. since I don't shoot professionally anymore! (and even if I did, I wouldn't worry about it). I do hate what that type of PRO has done to the public's perception of what professional photography is.... but I just ignore most of them now although I read some of the posts they do just for some laughs!

I redacted the name in the ad because I know the person.

The person's not a bad photographer; pretty good, in fact. I'm just stunned at the approach. The photographer in question could easily, and I believe has, earned far more money than what's listed in the Amazon ad...

Well.. if they put themselves out of business.. then there should be more for you! :)

I think this is an instance of one of the new breed of instant professional photographers getting a taste of reality. Not knowing who the photographer is (and I understand your reluctance to show the name) I obviously have no idea of their capabilities, but just given the text of the offer leads me to that conclusion.

The photography industustry has been glutted with 30-day wonders and until something is done to regulate who can claim to be a professional it will continue. There are no requirements for professional photographers other than being able to pay for a business license and hang up a shingle. The cream will float to the top and the others will sink, and in my opinion this is one of the "Others".

Tests, Peer reviews, and Certifications.. PLEASE! LOL!

His terms seem kind of random. Limit of ten Vouchers? Groups of five only? Seems like he's kind of making it up as he goes.

I dont understand why the expensive "pro" photographers even care. If someone has $800 budget for wedding photography, and they come to you, what do you tell them if they cannot pay any more than that? Do you do the job for $800 or do you tell them they have to find another photographer that will work in their budget? If you wont do the job on their cheaper budget, then you havent lost any business since they could never afford you anyway. Whats wrong with another photographer filling that niche? And whats to say they cant do good work on that budget? And either way, why does anyone else care since. Im going to guess that someone with a $3000+ budget for photography probably isn't looking for someone on craigslist...seems like its a non issue to me. But what do I know... I get paid to get people to a hospital alive..not to take pictures, so my knowledge base on this subject is limited.

until something is done to regulate who can claim to be a professional it will continue

Pardon my french, but...

**** that.

It's not the government's job to protect us from bad portraits.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back