Money to Burn

Dradd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So... Basically I have $600NZD to burn ($475USD or 240GBP...Didn't there used to be a GB Pound key on keyboards? anyway) All I own at this stage is a 400D and the kit lens.

I'm curious to find out, if you were in my position (just starting with no gear) what you burn $600 on?

I've been reading strobist all the time and am really keen to try out off-camera lighting, but then again, I could really do with a new lens... decisions decisions :D

So I guess what im trying to say is, which do you think would be a better choice... A Flash, or a Lens? (or is there something else I should be considering?)

Cheers :D

You need both a fast lens and a flash but get the fast lens first. Check out sigmaphoto.com for lenses from the Sigma brand they usually are cheaper than Canon glass. I have seen a 24-60 f.2.8 from sigma on amazon for $180 USD which is very cheap. I find that Amazon almost always has the best lens prices so check it out.

I have been mulling over a nifty fifty... though I've seen a Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro on a local online auction site, will proablly go for $300ish I think. Good lens? Good price?

Also I can't find any retailers in NZ that sell Vivitar or Sunpak flashes.

I don't use my flash with my 50mm at bars and clubs but still trying to get the settings right but yeah. What they said 50mm.

I have been mulling over a nifty fifty... though I've seen a Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro on a local online auction site, will proablly go for $300ish I think. Good lens? Good price?

Also I can't find any retailers in NZ that sell Vivitar or Sunpak flashes.

I would just get a prime for now, the image quality will be above and beyond most any zoom in your price range, it has a huge aperture and you can still afford a flash. Get one of the Canon flashes, it'll be easier to use (although significantly more expensive).

looks like I can get a used 430EZ for $120NZ... is the 430EZ a good flash (good enough for a newbie i mean)

I'm not sure as I use a Nikon, but I know the 430EX will support TTL metering and such.

yeah, just discovered the EZ's won't work with digital aparently... that means im looking at a pricey EX :x

Most reactions

New Topics

Back