Monitor Calibration Device

Aggressor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.teamophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm tired of having my images come out inconsistently. What my options on monitor calibrators? Which, in your opinion, works the best?

I've looked at the Huey and the Spyder but I'm confused about the different 'editions' Express/Pro/Elite or whatever they are... Are there any other options?

Define inconsistently? Photos prepared on uncalibrated equipment should still be consistent even if slightly wrong in colour. If your problem is colour shifts from the shadows to the highlights (i.e. dark grey looks dark grey but light grey looks green), or the contrast of the screen doesn't seem to match the print then calibration and softproofing is the way to go.

But if you mean the white on the screen isn't the same white as the paper then what usually is the issue is the light falling on the paper. A lot of people don't realise to compare a print directly next to the screen you need a viewing booth with the colour temperature calibrated against what the screen is set to.

To calibrators: The difference is mainly the feature set offered by the software and in some cases the hardware. The cheap ones do basic screen colour adjustments and generate an icc profile which is all you need from a photography point of view. More expensive products do all sorts of things like connect to viewing booths to calibrate them, generate printer profiles, and have a slight increase in accuracy but in general are not needed outside of a colour critical industry like paint matching or magazine work.

I'd recommend any of the cheap ones, but I'd stay clear of the Spyder2 express as it is slowly showing it's age and has problems with wide gamut monitors which are becoming more and more popular now that Dell is selling them. I have heard poor things about the Huey, but in general any of the Spyder series will get rave reviews from the people on this forum and I will drop my $0.02 in by suggesting the iOne Display2 calibrator.

Thanks for the reply, Garbz. Good thing I waited until I asked. I almost bought the Huey over the weekend because it had an ambient light sensor that the Spyder2 Express didn't.

By inconsistent, I mean that in the same lighting conditions, three computers that I used had varying levels of brightness. I understand the gamma/brightness/contrast settings may be different on each computer, but I need to have a standardized reference monitor so that I can manage my prints better too.

If you're editing/printing from three different computers/monitors, make sure you calibrate all three.

That said, I use a Spyder2Express. From what I understand, the different Spyder models are simply additional functionality. I believe the higher end Spyder2 can do multiple-monitor calibration (for dual monitor setups, for example), and printer calibration. The Express is good enough for me, and the price was right.

The 'Express' software isn't meant for multiple monitor set ups...I'm not sure about installing it on multiple computers.

I have the Spyder II and it has worked well for me.

I use the Spyder 3 Pro and it works fine. Easy to use and not too expensive.

The 'Express' software isn't meant for multiple monitor set ups...I'm not sure about installing it on multiple computers.

I have the Spyder II and it has worked well for me.
You shouldn't have any problem using the Express on multiple computers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back