Monitor calibration? Trouble with conflicting screens

TrueColors

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently got some new studio lighting. Excited to try it out I offered to do high school year book photos for a small school I work for. I brought my images home today and I thought it was odd that all the images when I opened them in in RAW on PS were underexposed. I thought to myself I could have sworn these photos looked great on my cameras LCD - so I checked the photos on the LCD again and sure enough they looked great. I gave the card to my wife who looked at them on her laptop and they looked good.

I looked up at a photo pinned to my cork board of my son sitting on a stone bridge that I recent took and brought immediately to walgreens for printing (no PP, straight from my memory card). I grabbed the photo and opened the image on my comp.....the image looked SLIGHTLY less exposed in the photo and SLIGHTLY more exposed on my comp.......:confused:

The difference between the RAW yearbook images on my cameras LCD and my monitor is dramatic.

What could be causing this dramatic difference with these RAW photos compared to others that are JPG?

BTW I have a CRT monitor (is it true CRT monitors are more accurate than LCD monitors?

Sounds to me like your monitor settings may need adjusting. Is your monitor in fact calibrated?

What does the histogram look like?

Could be both. Yes mis-calibrated monitor could have something to do with it. Yes the fact that your camera has a very cheap and crappy little LCD with definitely no calibration in any form also doesn't help.

But it could also be the software you are using. Unless you open the RAW file with the RAW processor from your camera manufacturer (Nikon Capture NX for Nikons) then you won't get even remotely the same processing of the RAW data. Not just in exposure but the tonality and colours should be significantly different too.

Most reactions

Back