Monk-ee see, Monk-ee do

Punky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.evilpunkydoll.com
I bought a corrugated display board and some black foam/poster board tonight. Wanted to play around with lighting a little.
I am really happy with this image. What are your thoughts, comments and suggestions. I am really new with lighting and have been trying to experiment as much as possible.
Thanks for all comments (good or bad) in advance. :)

Monk-ee.jpg

I'm not experienced enough to comment on lighting (looks good to me, though), but I'd try placing the monkey so that it's looking into the frame.

I'm not experienced enough to comment on lighting (looks good to me, though), but I'd try placing the monkey so that it's looking into the frame.
in many instants you would like the subject to look away from the frame to create a more natural look.......especially objects without "life"

btw....i feel it is quite nice.....it feels like the monkey is looking at the sun hoping for something.....lol

Thanks for both comments, I haven't heard of the looking into the frame one before. I tend not to do that so i will have to play around and keep that in my head when shooting :)

i like the shot the way it is. it looks like something caught the monkeys attenton maybe outside a window, or maybe even on tv. who knows. wondering what the monkey is looking at is what makes it interesting to me. if it was facing directly into the camera, that wonder would be gone.

the only minor distraction, and it is very minor to me, is the shadow coming from the right of the picture, going to the left of the monkey. like i said its very minor IMO, but if you could shoot it and only have the main shadow going from the monkey to the background, it would be 100% perfect IMHO.

very nice shot!

that is a really nice shot, the way youve placed the shadow works really well and the texture of the ground and the wall behind creates a great effect and works nicely with the black and white.
excelent work!

Agree that there are times when looking out of the frame gives a better capture. Years ago, a non-photographer said that his eyes always follow the images gaze and since then I've found that I can't stop doing it - rightly or wrongly. It's like being asked if you hold you breath when pressing the button - you can spoil a good shot because you're wondering whether or not you do rather than concentrating on the capture.

Most reactions

Back