Monochromatic photos changing to color...

PhotoWrangler

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.themodernmutt.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am confused as all get out. I visited New Orleans this weekend while I was home, and shot the D700 on monochromatic nearly all weekend. I'm uploading the photos into LR4 now.

They upload into the library as B&W images but as soon as I click on them they load in color.

When you shoot monochromatic, does it record in the data in color as well? Why is it loading in B&W and then changing to color?

Yep the image is recorded in colour and "filtered" to black and white preset, I often will shoot in black and white setting to make sure they are great candidates but never use the auto setting to do the actual conversion, I use Silver Effex Pro for that, you have way more control over the image that way IMHO .

Did you shoot in RAW format? The B&W in RAW may just be a selection in the photo profile that LR did not apply. (I could be wrong)

Yep, it will default on the raw to colour, if you want to use LR4 to edit just choose Monochromatic and have at it! ;)

A raw file isn't really even an image yet...part of processing a raw is the creating/rendering of the colors. So yes, you will always see your raw images show up in color.

And yes, converting to B&W in Lightroom is very easy, but it also gives you the ability to get about a million different looks for the converted image. So if your end goal is B&W images, it is best to shoot in raw and convert in software. I wouldn't recommend shooting B&W in jpeg, because your options would be very limited.

So if your end goal is B&W images, it is best to shoot in raw and convert in software. I wouldn't recommend shooting B&W in jpeg, because your options would be very limited.

This is what I was afraid of. So the entire weekend, I would shoot one image in B&W and then switch the picture control to my custom color setting and shoot a color image. Both were shot in RAW. I didn't realize that once it got into LR it would be in color anyway.

This is the perfect scenario though because I can use the B&W preview in camera, and still have the benefit of color by creating a virtual copy in LR.

This is the perfect scenario though because I can use the B&W preview in camera, and still have the benefit of color by creating a virtual copy in LR.
That is the one benefit of shooting B&W in-camera.
In my portrait lighting class, I often recommend that students switch to monochrome (in raw) because it's usually easier to evaluate shadows with a B&W preview.

Most reactions

Back